more FS only madness

Discussion in 'DVD' started by James L White, Jan 18, 2004.

1. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

from DVDfile.com

Rounding out today's news is a giant wave of price reductions of Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, who on March 23rd will reduce the prices of many of their biggest DVD catalog titles to as low as $9.95. Newly reduced to $14.95: Another You, Best of Ripley's Believe It or Not, Easy Rider, Fly Away Home, Glass House, Greatest 70's Cop Shows, Joe Dirt, Knight's Tale, Master of Disguise, My Girl, Seeing Double, Trapped and Troop Beverly Hills. And listing for only $9.95: Against All Odds, And Justice For All, Apt Pupil, Arlington Road, Baby Geniuses, Bats, Bear, Blind Date, Blue Thunder, Bugsy, Casualties of War, Charlie's Angels: Angels Under Cover, Crazy in Alabama, Drowning Mona, Fan, Glitter, Godzilla, Hanging Up, Hanover Street, Hush, Jawbreaker, Johnny Mnemonic, Kermit's Swamp Years, Last Action Hero, Mary Reilly, Mrs. Winterbourne, Muppets From Space, My Life, No Mercy, Peggy Sue Got Married, Perfect, Thomas and the Magic Railroad, To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday, Toy, The, Two Moon Junction and Who's Harry Crumb?. Note, however, that the savings comes at a cost - many of these titles, including Last Action Hero, Mrs. Winterbourne and Peggy Sue Got Married, will be "streamlined" to a full frame-only, single-layer disc, i.e., the widescreen side will be dropped. Columbia has also done this on some of their previous priced-reduced reissues, so pay close attention to the packaging before buying.

Yeah way to go Columbia,AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! I guess I'll have to run out and pick up the WS dsics before they're replaced with Foolscreen only.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    WAY to push the FS format, IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I have yet to figure out why Columbia goes to extra expense to limit their customers' options. [​IMG]

3. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

Good thing there isn't much worth owning on there. You gotta love the J6P market.

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Well, that's a big bunch of pretty mediocre movies coming out in a truly crummy format. Columbia really knows how to peg out the apathy meter.

Jan

5. WillG

WillG Producer

So Damn stupid. How much more does a DVD-9 or DVD-10 cost to produce over a DVD-5?

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I wish Ron had set up a Worst Studio "award" for this year's HTF Awards voting. Columbia needs a big official communal bitch-slap from us. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Craptastic, Columbia!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] You really know how to lose sales from me!

8. PaulP

PaulP Producer

But it doesn't give us the complete list of titles that will lose the widescreen side. There are several titles mentioned that I'd like to pick up before this disaster happens.

9. Estevan Lapena

Estevan Lapena Stunt Coordinator

Easy Rider is no J6P movie.
    This is utter stupidity. Why did they even think of doing this?

10. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I think this is a load of shit myself. God knows why Columbia would do this. There's only a few titles on there that I want but for the rest of you guys and im sure loads of others that would want some of those.

PS Hows the transfers of Blue Thunder and Muppets from Space? Are they anamorphic?

11. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Yes they are both 16x9 enhanced. With the disclaimer that it has been awhile since I watched either disc my memories are that both transfers are just fine. Muppets From Space is a lot of fun, with a bright, colorful transfer and an excellent soundtrack. Blue Thunder gets the job done, with the transfer being faithful to the film's theatrical look. I wouldn't have problems recommending either disc to fans of the respective films.

Guess I'd better look at the list and see if there is anything I want. Some of those titles have only been released in a MAR'd 1.33:1 AR, such as To Gillian On Her 37th Birthday.

Frickin' Columbia [​IMG]

- Walter.

12. DavidS

DavidS Stunt Coordinator

Hmm...

With Sony's electronics division making newer and better widescreen TVs than a few years ago (see www.sonystyle.com for examples), doesn't CTHE phasing out widescreen versions of their DVDs seem a little, i dunno, counter-productive?

~shrugs~

13. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

I'm sure they're dong this so J6P will have to buy WS versions when WS TVs become the norm

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Well I know what kind of Widescreen TV I WON'T be buying!!

15. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Breaking News! Wal Mart buys Sony!

16. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

This is insane. Simply insane. [​IMG]

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Same here. I expect to buy a new widescreen TV this year, but it definitely won't be a Sony since their home video arm releases a lot of incompatible software.

18. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I came THIS close to selling my Last Action Hero, as I was thinking of importing the Superbit when I had the spare cash. Considering the $40 price tag, and all the titles coming out that I want, it was gonna be a while...thank goodness I didn't.

Columbia is well on their way to becoming the most hated studio of them all, possibly even more than Artisan.

19. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Phew, there's not one movie on that list I would buy.

20. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Thankfully Artisan has been bought up by a more respectable company.