More front projector help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodney wiley, Jun 20, 2002.

1. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

I would like to take the front projection jump. But I must admit its totally confusing to me. Do I want a crt or a lcd I just don't know I don't have a lot of money to spend. My biggest concern is picture quality with dvd I have a rp56.Also what type of screen will I need. I don't even know where to start can someone shed light on my ignorance to front projection? Thanks

2. PhilS

PhilS Stunt Coordinator

Rodney, see the comments on the other post by Dave Getson entitled "LCD or CRT . . ."

3. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Thanks Phil![​IMG] I am slightly enlightened[​IMG]

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The first thing you need to determine is what is your maximum budget? Then you need to determine how good the light control is in your proposed room and how to get it properly light controlled if it is not. The budget will probably determine what type of projector you will get, and based on that, you can get a screen to match it.

For instance, if you told me your budget was $1500 then most likely I would not recommend a DLP projector. They are at a higher price range.

5. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

I would most likely be working with around 1500.00 to 1800.00 My room will have total light control after I figure out how to put some type of door,curtain at the bottom of my stairwell. I just about bought this sony VPH 1030Q1 from a fellow forum member but I realized I don't know enough about projectors to judge if this will suit my needs also I have mo idea how to mount it because there is no mount kit with it. He was asking 425 would this be a good starting point in my journey?

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    He must have been using it on a coffee table or on top of a shelf or something. This looks like a heavy CRT unit so if you want to ceiling mount, you need the kit for sure.

7. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Neil, I was reading some of the other threads and I have another point to consider. I watch more dvd than regular tv but the tv is always on. I can control the ambient light but now I wonder if a crt might be better simply because it has no bulbs! Also couldn't I make some type of mounting shelf for it to sit on. How difficult would it be to find the mounting bracket for and older machine? Thanks soooo much for your help!