What's new

More Friends? (1 Viewer)

Kieran Brown

Agent
Australia is really getting lucky with the Friends DVDs because they are releasing America's versions here, so the special features such as audio commentaries by producers that are on America's versions are on them (NTSC versions).

I was going to buy seasons one to three when they first got released but didn't, and quite recently seasons four to seven have been released. But is it worth it? Yes it would be because I love the show and want to own the DVDs of the show but is that it for the DVDs of the Friends seasons? Will they be released with much more special features than what they contain now?
Anyone know or able to find out or heard any rumors from Warner Bros. ?

Thanks.

;)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I can't see them re-releasing the existing seasons, especially after so many people invested in the current sets, but if I were a betting man, I'd say that seasons 8 to 10 will contain the bulk of the special features (i.e. in-depth documentaries, etc). Since season 10 only consisted of 18 episodes, perhaps they'll use that set to maximize on supplemental material.

I'm very impressed with the sets thus far. For example, season 5 contains the documentary entitled "The One That Goes Behind The Scenes" which is an hour in length. It chronicles the making of an entire episode, from read-throughs, to set design, to rehearsals, wardrobe, rewrites.....everything. It's really in-depth. All but one set feature trivia games which get more elaborate with each set. The first few season sets have in-depth tours of the most common sets with sound bytes and video. Season 1 explained the origins of Central Perk, as well as the props within. Season 2 was Monica & Rachel's apartment, and season 3 had Chandler and Joey's apartment.

Following the season 2 trivia game, you get to see Phoebe's "Smelly Cat" music video in its entirety. Season 4 (I believe) has the feature "Friends Around The World" which shows us what "Friends" sounds like when conveyed in a multitude of different languages. S5 also has a featurette which is rather short in length chronicling the 'Friends' in London.

The season 6 and 7 sets have taken a new route by adding a hilarious blooper reel which is pretty lengthy, as well as a "Friends of Friends" featurette. Season 6 chronicles Elliot Gould & Christina Pickles (Monica and Ross' parents), Maggie Wheeler (Janice) and James Michael Taylor (Gunther). Season 7 has the same feature. This time, focussing on Morgan Fairchild (Chandler's mom), Cole Mitchell Sprouse (Ben), Eddie Cahill (Tag), Paget Brewster (Kathy) and Alexandra Holden (Elizabeth).

The first few season sets also have a "Friends of Friends" feature, but as opposed to actual featurettes, they list the names of all the guest stars for that particular season. Highlighting them will show a small clip from their appearance in the show.

Then of course, we have the in-depth commentaries for select episodes of each season.....and if that's not enough, each episode contains never before seen footage. In other words, footage that was not aired during the show's original broadcasts. I'm not sure if the UK sets contain the addition footage or not.

Anyway, there are many reasons to purchase these. The episodes themselves are worth it, and the extras are aplenty. With three sets to go, I'm willing to bet we'll see some pretty decent extras contained on those.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I can't see them re-releasing the existing seasons, especially after so many people invested in the current sets, but if I were a betting man, I'd say that seasons 8 to 10 will contain the bulk of the special features (i.e. in-depth documentaries, etc). Since season 10 only consisted of 18 episodes, perhaps they'll use that set to maximize on supplemental material.

I'm very impressed with the sets thus far. For example, season 5 contains the documentary entitled "The One That Goes Behind The Scenes" which is an hour in length. It chronicles the making of an entire episode, from read-throughs, to set design, to rehearsals, wardrobe, rewrites.....everything. It's really in-depth. All but one set feature trivia games which get more elaborate with each set. The first few season sets have in-depth tours of the most common sets with sound bytes and video. Season 1 explained the origins of Central Perk, as well as the props within. Season 2 was Monica & Rachel's apartment, and season 3 had Chandler and Joey's apartment.

Following the season 2 trivia game, you get to see Phoebe's "Smelly Cat" music video in its entirety. Season 4 (I believe) has the feature "Friends Around The World" which shows us what "Friends" sounds like when conveyed in a multitude of different languages. S5 also has a featurette which is rather short in length chronicling the 'Friends' in London.

The season 6 and 7 sets have taken a new route by adding a hilarious blooper reel which is pretty lengthy, as well as a "Friends of Friends" featurette. Season 6 chronicles Elliot Gould & Christina Pickles (Monica and Ross' parents), Maggie Wheeler (Janice) and James Michael Taylor (Gunther). Season 7 has the same feature. This time, focussing on Morgan Fairchild (Chandler's mom), Cole Mitchell Sprouse (Ben), Eddie Cahill (Tag), Paget Brewster (Kathy) and Alexandra Holden (Elizabeth).

The first few season sets also have a "Friends of Friends" feature, but as opposed to actual featurettes, they list the names of all the guest stars for that particular season. Highlighting them will show a small clip from their appearance in the show.

Then of course, we have the in-depth commentaries for select episodes of each season.....and if that's not enough, each episode contains never before seen footage. In other words, footage that was not aired during the show's original broadcasts. I'm not sure if the UK sets contain the addition footage or not.

Anyway, there are many reasons to purchase these. The episodes themselves are worth it, and the extras are aplenty. With three sets to go, I'm willing to bet we'll see some pretty decent extras contained on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks