What's new

More films in the Harry Potter universe coming.. (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/warner-bros-j-k-rowling-team-for-new-harry-potter-inspired-film-series/
Expanding their longterm, lucrative partnership on the Harry Potter franchise, Warner Bros and author J.K. Rowling are putting a new film series in the works. Rowling will make her screenwriting debut on Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, an original story based on the Hogwarts textbook that appears on a reading list in the first Potter tome, Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone. This is the first in a planned series of films and will feature magical creatures and characters from the Potter mythology, including the textbook’s fictitious author, Newt Scamander. Rowling says it’s not a sequel or a prequel to the Potter adventures, but will kick off in New York, 70 years before Harry’s story starts. No timeline or director has been identified yet. If the films follow the Harry Potter process, they’ll make use of Warner Bros’ Leavesden studios outside London which Warner acquired and revamped after the last Potter film was shot. Warner Bros noted today that the relationship between Rowling and the studio will be managed in London by Neil Blair of Rowling’s literary agency The Blair Partnership, and by Warner UK, Ireland and Spain chief Josh Berger.

Several projects that do not have Harry Potter in them, in different time frames, but deal with that universe.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm excited about the Fantastic Beast adaptation, both because JK Rowling is writing it and because it's a period piece. It'll be cool to see the wizarding world in the 1920s.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
How many pages do you think Rowling's first draft script will be? 900?

But yeah, considering the complete absence of the United States in the original series, this is about as far from Hogwarts as you can get.Early twentieth-century New York? I'm picturing a mix of Indiana Jones and Ghostbusters set in the Potterverse. I'm probably way off base, but regardless, sign me up. Weirdly, I find this particular story idea more appealing than the parent-story. No fate or destiny, and plenty of monsters.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
joshEH said:
Early twentieth-century New York? I'm picturing a mix of Indiana Jones and Ghostbusters set in the Potterverse. I'm probably way off base, but regardless, sign me up. Weirdly, I find this particular story idea more appealing than the parent-story. No fate or destiny, and plenty of monsters.
When you put it that way. . .sign me up, too!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Seems like it could be a fun concept, especially with Rowling writing the screenplay. Looking forward to seeing what they do with this.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
On a related note, we just visited the Harry Potter attraction at Universal Orlando. Wow, is it great.

If you have a young Potter-lovin' kid, take him/ her to the real Ollivander's if you get the chance. They won't ever forget it. (However, be prepared to drop $34 on the wand that "chooses" them. ;) )

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Aaron Silverman said:
On a related note, we just visited the Harry Potter attraction at Universal Orlando. Wow, is it great.

If you have a young Potter-lovin' kid, take him/ her to the real Ollivander's if you get the chance. They won't ever forget it. (However, be prepared to drop $34 on the wand that "chooses" them. ;) )
Or if you get really lucky, the one and only time we did that our son got chosen and got the wand for free. Plus it is the kind you cannot buy or at least it was that way two years ago when we went.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Nice! I didn't know that they ever gave them out for free. You can definitely buy the one my son got, but they sell a huge variety. I think they used to just sell a wand matching each of the movie characters.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Two weeks ago, trying to explain my attitudes to a 28 yr old coworker, I said "in 30 years when JK Rowling releases a trio of crappy Harry Potter prequels, your generation will have a collective gasp of 'Oh, Star Wars! We get it!'"I hope I wasn't prematurely prescient, and not just snarky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks