What's new

More Ealing Comedies in 2005 (1 Viewer)

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
According to Barrie Maxwell on digitalbits.com Anchor Bay is releasing some more classic British cinema next year, including a set of Ealing comedies not previously available here in the US, even on VHS.

These include Passport to Pimlico, Tight Little Island (aka Whisky Galore), and A Run For Your Money starring Alec Guinness who of course can do no wrong.

I'll get to cross a few more long-standing wants off next summer I guess.

Speaking of AG: I wish Warner would release Little Dorrit, even if it may be a "ridiculous" request. And is there any word on the MGM David Lean set that was postponed?

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Good new on more Ealing comedies, I might just pick those up blind. I had only seen the original Ladykillers (on an awful VHS tape) before getting the five movie Anchor Bay Alec Guinness Collection when it came out two years ago, and it's been one of the most rewarding purchases I've ever made.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A few more details on this page. You'll also see AB are releasing The British War Collection:

"Some of the greatest war films ever made came from Ealing Studios in Great Britain and we are proud to present several of them in this box set including THE CRUEL SEA, THE DAM BUSTERS, WENT THE DAY WELL, THE COLDITZ STORY, THE SHIP THAT DIED OF SHAME and AGAINST THE WIND. Expect original theatrical trailers, newly restored transfers and well as special collectible packaging for these classic films in mid-2005. Other details will be announced soon."

ScottFH

Stunt Coordinator
What about "All at Sea"?

AKA "Barnacle Bill" (?!), it is one of my absolute favorite Guinness films of all time - I was fortunate enough to tape it from TCM last month, but let's have a DVD...

I absolutely love the Ealing comedies, so the new set will be a no-brainer" purchase for me!

How about a 2nd set of Alec films? That would also be a done deal!!!

:)

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed. My copy of "All at Sea" (also taped from TCM, as was my copy of "The Scapegoat") has been well-used by my family, and begs to be replaced by a DVD of it.

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon has the Ealing War Collection up for preorder now, with a scheduled release date of March 22nd. Seems kind of pricey for an Anchor Bay set, but I'll get it nonetheless. I hope the comedies follow soon thereafter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks