More Dual Booting questions...Partway there, help needed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Mar 30, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

OK Guys,

After reading some, I managed to get the HD Partitioned. I had to delete the current, original one, and set up two. One primary, one extended. The Primary is my main, Windows XP one at 8 MB's in size, and the Extended will be my Windows ME one at 2 MB's in size. Only one problem.

I have Windows ME installed on both Drivers, C and D, but it always defaults to D. I can't get it to startup on the C drive so I can properly install Windows XP. Also, where is the "choose wich operating system you want to start", that I hear people with dual boots commonaly say? I don't see any of that when I start up.

Thanks!

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Neil, you'll need to start again. Windows Me will need to be installed on the Primary DOS partition. XP can go on a logical drive within the Extended DOS partition. Once Me is up and running, just put the XP CD in and start the process of installing it. You'll end up with a dual-boot system if you follow the steps I gavew you before.

There are ways to achieve having Me installed after XP, but it's making your situation more complicated than it needs to be.

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Hmm, OK. That's what I did wrong. I also forgot to check out the Advanced setup options, wich lets me choose wich partition to setup Windows XP on. This time I remembered to set it up on the D: Section(Now the Extended Partition), so hopefully it'll work this time.
    Ah well, live and learn. Here's hoping there is no try three [​IMG].
    Thanks again!

4. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Yep, my mistake. That was obviously supposed to mean GB's. I was going back and forth between the familly computer, and my computer while it was setting up to check on progress.
    Well, 2nd times the charm, because it seems to work perfectly now [​IMG].
    Thanks for all the help!

6. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Neil,

Glad to know that you got it working. BTW you also might want to check out a little utility called "MasterBooter." I've recommended it to several people; it's an app that writes itself into your MBR, and allows you to load 1 of up to 4 operating systems (per HD). It basically "hides" all of the other primary partitions, but leaves the extended partition in tact.