What's new

More $$$ down the tubes (1 Viewer)

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
So, here I am waiting for the iPhone, and my AV receiver dies. :frowning:

Cool! Time to get a new receiver!! :)

It's a Sony STR-DA333es, c. 1998. I already fixed it once. Anyway, I'm planning on getting something very Apple-like - Yamaha's YSP-800 digital sound projector, and matching subwoofer the FSW-100, both in black. Slim, clever design. I've been reviewing the comments about it online about room dimensions, etc., so I fired up some 3D software I have, Live Interior 3D, for the Mac (hence my posting here), and created the attached pic. Pretty cool, actually.

It's neat software - if you like to make images like this one, check it out. http://www.belightsoft.com/products/...r/overview.php

I should add that being without TV for the last few days has freed up a lot of time. I've canceled HBO/Cinemax (besides, the Sopranos are over....and I say Tony's dead!), and I'm also considering scaling back on the HT effort and just getting Apple's HiFi. It sounds great, but stereo only. Or, getting the YSP-800 and dropping Satellite, in favor of movies. I'm having a mid-theater crisis!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Oren, this isn't Apple related, but your comment about the Sony AVR that died has me curious. I have the same exact receiver and it died a couple of months ago. It started by intermittently losing all sound. For awhile I could do a full reset and it would come back, but eventually it just stayed off.

I'm still debating whether it is worthwhile to try to get the Sony fixed. There is a good A/V repair shop not far from me; they charge $40 just to look at something and give an estimate. I could see spending up to $100 or so to have this fixed again because it's a nice receiver, but you say yours was already fixed before and is now broken again. What was wrong with yours? Same problem both times? Thanks.

P.S. I'm using a borrowed Onkyo AVR in the meantime.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have a 555ES that died a couple of months ago too.

I think there's something to this...

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
The symptoms were (both times) that when I turned it on there was the usual audible click (though a little subdued) but nothing on the display. The only indication that it was on was the red dot on the volume nob, and that was not the usual brightness. And, of course, no sound, no switched video. It does respond to the remote to turn on and off.

The repair record says, "repaired power supply circuit" and the part is described as "rectifier - bridge" (two) and a fuse. Total charge was $120 ($20 to check it out, applied against final $120).

The radio was dead, too. I have no idea when that died, as I wasn't using it.

Both times it died without warning but not while on. It just didn't come on one day.

I still haven't decided what to do. YSP-800 with subwoofer, vs. a new receiver and my current 5.1 Klipsch quintet (with KSW10 sub) plus maybe 2 more sats to make 7.1. I keep going back and forth between a minimalist approach and having the real gear.

I'm limping along with tiny (free) computer speakers hooked up to my Directv receiver. I have to get up to change the volume. How weird is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks