More Dish Installation Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry L, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Larry L

Larry L Agent

Hey Everyone,

I appreciate you all taking the time to read this an offer any possible insights. I recently ordered the Hughes DirecTIVO and want to do a self install. I live in a lower unit condo in So. Cal with a patio that faces North East. The patio has a wooden deck filling in the entire space (ie, no uncovered surface). I'm pretty sure that I can get a decent unobstructed line of sight if I elevate the dish up on a galvanized metal pole or treated 4X4 of 8 to 10 feet in length. But, since I don't have any oncovered ground to bury a pole in, I'm guessing I'll have to use a large plant pot filled with cement or something like that.

My first question is, are there any other suggestions as to how I might "plant" such a pole (I do have a stucco covered wall running the perimeter of my patio but attaching something to it won't really work for a variety of reasons)?

My second question is regarding grounding. Because of my patio configuration, I really don't have a place to sink a grounding rod into the earth. However, very close to where I'll have the coax enter the house is an outdoor water faucet (which would eventually connect to my water supply line that runs beneath my foundation). Is it safe and/or effective to attach the grounding wire to this? Lightening strikes are almost non existent in my area but, do to arid conditions, static electricity may be a concern.

I appreciate any help that is offerred. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to everyone!

Larry

2. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

A base filled with cement is a good solution just be sure that the galvanized pole is absolutely level otherwise you'll have a tough time "finding" the satellite signal.

Mine is grounded to the outside water faucet as are many others. No problems with that.

3. Larry L

Larry L Agent

JB,

thanks for the response. I'm feeling much more comfortable with this job now. My only concern is that, I noticed this morning that there is a large chimney on the roof that is roughly in the direction I will be pointing the dish and, thus, possibly in my line of sight (at least from the one spot on my patio that seemed to offer the best ability to keep the dish at a reasonable height). I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

Any suggestions on how to let the pole set up nice and plumb other than just holding onto it by hand, drinking some tall frosty ones while I wait for the cement to harden?

Larr