more disappointment with Universal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Price, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Tom_Price

Tom_Price Stunt Coordinator

I popped in the Bourne Identity tonight to check it out. Naturally, I selected the DTS track, confirmed that I had the proper decoder blah blah blah, watched the "sonic landscape" DTS trailer, and....WHAT?!?!

It didn't go to the movie after the DTS trailer, but went to another trailer for some stupid movie with that guy who plays Bean. I can't remember the name of it. After that trailer, there was another one for Universal. I quickly skipped over it and only then did I finally arrive at the Bourne Identity.

I was pretty pissed at the placement of these trailers. Nothing should stand between the DTS trailer and the feature whether you can skip past it or not. Secondly, stuff like that belongs in the Universal Showcase.

I know it's not a huge deal, but what if other studios start doing this as well?

2. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

This has been pretty common practise for them for quite a while. Undercover Brother, released one week earlier, has the exact same trailer(with Bean) but not the second one.

Sean

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Tom, I just watched Undercover Brother and I'm just as upset with this preview placement.

4. norman j

norman j Agent

When we watch these DVDs years from now, we are not going to care about watching the trailers for movies that came out when we first bought them.

5. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

MarkHastings, by law, you now owe Michael Buffer $100,000. Better take out that second mortgage. [​IMG]

6. MarkHastings

7. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

8. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

Gee, we never had this problem with laserdisc....

Charlie

9. MarkHastings

Robert,

No you've got me thinking...I can't check because I'm at work, but are the trailers (that follow the DTS intro) in DTS? I realize you are reffering to the movie itself, but shouldn't the trailer be in DTS as well (if we're going to assume that the DTS intro should be followed by trailers with a DTS soundtrack)?

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

11. AndrewA

AndrewA Stunt Coordinator

Mark,

No the trailer is not in DTS, just Pro-Logic.

12. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The DTS intro. is supposed to come right before the movie as it's considered a transition from "ad mode" to "movie mode." The Sonic Landscape trailer is also marketed as an audio palette cleanser between the trailers and the feature.

Don't believe me? I was a booth manager at a cineplex. I read the memo.

Dan

13. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I had the same thing happen with Bourne Identity. I selected DTS, went through the DTS trailer, and then got the Johnny English trailer. I could not fast forward, pause, or go back to the menu. This was on a Toshiba SD-1700. I wound up hitting stop, and then went back to the menu, selected DTS again, and after the DTS trailer I went straight to the film.

Here's the funny part-I watched Undercover Brother a week later, and I selected DTS. After the DTS trailer, I went straight to the film. No forced trailer. Could it be that these trailers are only forced the first time? And if so, maybe since it was the same trailer on both discs, I was automatically taken past it on UB? I know that sounds far-fetched-just curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

14. Armand G

Armand G Stunt Coordinator

Had the same thing with The Bourne Identity. Very annoying these trailers before the feature. That's one of the reasons I really hate dvd.

15. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit