What's new

more disappointment with Universal (1 Viewer)

Tom_Price

Stunt Coordinator
I popped in the Bourne Identity tonight to check it out. Naturally, I selected the DTS track, confirmed that I had the proper decoder blah blah blah, watched the "sonic landscape" DTS trailer, and....WHAT?!?!

It didn't go to the movie after the DTS trailer, but went to another trailer for some stupid movie with that guy who plays Bean. I can't remember the name of it. After that trailer, there was another one for Universal. I quickly skipped over it and only then did I finally arrive at the Bourne Identity.

I was pretty pissed at the placement of these trailers. Nothing should stand between the DTS trailer and the feature whether you can skip past it or not. Secondly, stuff like that belongs in the Universal Showcase.

I know it's not a huge deal, but what if other studios start doing this as well?

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
This has been pretty common practise for them for quite a while. Undercover Brother, released one week earlier, has the exact same trailer(with Bean) but not the second one.

Sean

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Tom, I just watched Undercover Brother and I'm just as upset with this preview placement.
Nothing should stand between the DTS trailer and the feature whether you can skip past it or not.
That would be like seeing a boxing match, having Michael Buffer come out and say:
"L-l-l-l-let's get r-ready to Rumblllllllllllleeeeeeee!!!!!" ...."and now a words from our sponsors"

norman j

Agent
When we watch these DVDs years from now, we are not going to care about watching the trailers for movies that came out when we first bought them.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
MarkHastings, by law, you now owe Michael Buffer $100,000. Better take out that second mortgage. :)

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Nothing should stand between the DTS trailer and the feature whether you can skip past it or not.
It's not that I disagree with you, but they do it like this in theaters all the time. I have always assumed that the rationale was that the trailers that come after the DTS "sound check" have DTS-encoded soundtracks.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

No you've got me thinking...I can't check because I'm at work, but are the trailers (that follow the DTS intro) in DTS? I realize you are reffering to the movie itself, but shouldn't the trailer be in DTS as well (if we're going to assume that the DTS intro should be followed by trailers with a DTS soundtrack)?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The DTS intro. is supposed to come right before the movie as it's considered a transition from "ad mode" to "movie mode." The Sonic Landscape trailer is also marketed as an audio palette cleanser between the trailers and the feature.

Don't believe me? I was a booth manager at a cineplex. I read the memo.

Dan

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I had the same thing happen with Bourne Identity. I selected DTS, went through the DTS trailer, and then got the Johnny English trailer. I could not fast forward, pause, or go back to the menu. This was on a Toshiba SD-1700. I wound up hitting stop, and then went back to the menu, selected DTS again, and after the DTS trailer I went straight to the film.

Here's the funny part-I watched Undercover Brother a week later, and I selected DTS. After the DTS trailer, I went straight to the film. No forced trailer. Could it be that these trailers are only forced the first time? And if so, maybe since it was the same trailer on both discs, I was automatically taken past it on UB? I know that sounds far-fetched-just curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
Had the same thing with The Bourne Identity. Very annoying these trailers before the feature. That's one of the reasons I really hate dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks