What's new

Directors MORE DIRECTORS CHECKLIST SERIES - Volume #234 - THE FILMS OF LARS VON TRIER (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Rate 'em, Rank 'em, Review 'em, whatever

Volume #234 - Lars Von Trier

Manderlay (2005)
The Five Obstructions (2003)
Dogville (2003)
D-dag - Den færdige film (2001) (TV)
... aka D-dag - Editors Cut
Dancer in the Dark (2000)
D-dag (2000) (TV)
D-dag - Lise (2000) (TV)
The Idiots (1998)
The Kingdom II (1997) (mini) TV Series
Breaking the Waves (1996)
The Kingdom (1994) (mini) TV Series
Europa (1991)
... aka Zentropa
Medea (1988) (TV)
Epidemic (1988)
The Element of Crime (1984)
Image of Relief (1982)
... aka Images of Liberation (Australia)
The Last Detail (1981)
Nocturne (1980)
Menthe - la bienheureuse (1979)
The Orchid Gardener (1977)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the most polarizing and controversial director in modern film, the enigmatic Von Trier has demonstrated his abilities as a strict formalist, a tongue-in-cheek advocate of austerity, and an exciting experimenter of both technology and the basic tenets of movie making. Ignoring his public persona, Von Trier is the most challenging, forceful, and mesmerizing director we are currently blessed with. His films reflect deeply personal emotions, a willingness to critique social and political structures, an absolute mastery of film, and an awareness of filmmaking heritage, while always looking forward to the future and new forms and developments.

*1. Dogville - A
*2. Breaking The Waves - A (absolutely stunning no matter how many times I watch it)
*3. Dancer in the Dark - A (difficult to rank these top 3 as I love them all dearly)
4. Europa - A
*5. Manderlay - A-
6. The Five Obstructions - A-(as interesting for what Von Trier reveals about himself as it is for the films ostensible subject matter. One of the better films of the past year)
*7. The Idiots - B+ (difficult to describe the emotional turmoil this film suggests. One I definitely need to revisit)

8. Antichrist - B+

9. Melancholia - B+
10. The Boss of It All - B+
11. The Element of Crime - B
12. The Kingdom - B-
13. Medea - C+
14. Epidemic - C-

Own: 5

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Ratings out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

[SIZE= 14px]LARS VON TRIER (1956 - )[/SIZE]

Melancholia (2011)

Antichrist (2009)

To Each His Own Cinema (2007) (segment "Occupations")

The Boss of It All (2006)

Manderlay (2005)
The Five Obstructions (2003)
Dogville (2003) :star:
D-dag - Den færdige film (2001)
Dancer in the Dark (2000) :star:
D-dag (2000)
D-dag - Lise (2000)
The Idiots (1998)
Breaking the Waves (1996) :star:
Europa (1991)
Medea (1988)
Epidemic (1988)
The Element of Crime (1984) :star:
Image of Relief (1982)
The Last Detail (1981)
Nocturne (1980)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Jim, your ratings are way too generous. I've seen Dancer in the Dark, Element of Crime and Breaking the Waves, and don't begin to know which is worse. I'm still sick to my stomach from the horrible, horrible, hand-held camera work and horrendous editing from Breaking the Waves. I was going to have lunch, but just thinking about it has killed my appetite.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Rated from (Own the R1 & R2 SE DVDs)
Image of Relief (1982) (Own the DVD, haven't watched it yet)
The Last Detail (1981)
Nocturne (1980) (Own the DVD, haven't watched it yet)

Seen 16
Own 15

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
1. Dogville
2. Dancer in the Dark
3. Breaking the Waves
4. The Five Obstructions
5. Manderlay

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I've only seen "Breaking the Waves".

I did borrow "The Five Obstructions" on DVD -- however, it is one of probably only 2 films in the last 10 years that I couldn't get through. (The other being "Irma Vep".)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Manderlay (2005) ***
Dogville (2003) ***
Dancer in the Dark (2000) **
Breaking the Waves (1996) ***1/2
The Kingdom (1994) ***
Europa (1991) ***
Epidemic (1988) ***
The Element of Crime (1984) ***
Medea (1988) ***

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have Dogville sitting (since it came out) and have only watched the first few minutes, which definitely looked interesting. I'm just waiting to be in the mood for it. I watched Dancer in the Dark finally sometime last year and it practically gave me nightmares. I'm not even sure why. I just can't give a rating. Maybe I'll drop back by after I see Dogville and maybe Breaking the Waves or something else.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Manderlay (2005) - check back in 5-6 weeks"

Was Manderlay given any sort of release date? I havent heard anything yet.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member

In 5-6 weeks from now, Manderlay will receive it's North American premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival, which I will be attending and hope to get tickets to see!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Oh, Lars... you're so provocative! :rolleyes

I kid Denmark's self-appointed enfant terrible, but in all honesty I look forward to his films more than just about any other director working today. I mean, what can you say about a guy who's first feature-length film out-Tarkovskys even Tarkovsky from a visual standpoint, and then ten years later the very same guy inaugurates the dogme movement? From treating actors like just another element of the mise-en-scene to becoming the director who's style has done more to liberate actors than any other (save perhaps Mike Leigh)? A guy who somehow manages to purchase Carl Dreyer's tuxedo, and then wears it while accepting an award and flipping off the Cannes jury because it's just a technical one? Who kept all of Denmark transfixed with his TV series (likened to the "Who shot JR?" mania in the States)? Who introduced the brilliance of Emily Watson to the world? Who so broke down Bjork that she refused, Falconetti-like, to ever act again... after receiving a Best Actress award for her work at Cannes?

No, there's no one like Von Trier, and he'll make damn sure of that. Is he the greatest filmmaker working today? Probably not. But, arguably, he's the most important. Certainly one of the most visionary. And, at the same time he aims his films straight at the mainstream audience while refusing to pander to their preconceptions and prejudices (but playing on those preconceptions and prejudices for all they're worth). His films are the perfect antidote to the wimpering, faux-transgressive "indie-scene" cinema of today, his cynicism and ascerbic wit a welcome tonic for the pandering, platitudinous conservatism of mainstream movies.

All his films are recommended. Even "Epidemic" and perhaps especially "The Idiots". And "Dogville", "Dancer", "Breaking", "Europa", "Riget"... masterpieces all.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Updated:

Manderlay - A-

Not the masterpiece that Dogville is, but certainly provocative and powerful in its own right.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Dancer in the Dark:
Hmm. How wold I rate this? It's designed to be manipulative. The story-- a half blind woman emigrates to the United States for the sole purpose of saving enough money for procure an operation for her son. And, of course, those evil Americans, those greedy, little people who care only for materialism, proceed to remove her from her money. And when that fails, her life is forfeit. The horror.

It's not even about Washington. The only reason it's set in Washington is that they have hangings. And hangings are a visually interesting way of killing people....

Most directors use the 2.35 aspect ratio so as to dramatize the sense of composition. Not von Trier. He uses it it combination with hand framing and wobble. The result is a sort of sea sickness. Color is muted, bland. The sound mix is towards the center.

But in musical scenes, everything is framed perfectly. The colors are bright. The sound is spacious. Is von Trier trying to argue for misanthropy? That one's imagination is so much more vivid than anything the mundane world could ever produce?

I liked the Kingdom. Pity that the second part isn't available here. I've only seen Breaking the Waves once. Perhaps he had a similarly artistic notion behind his decision to abandon tripods. Perhaps he simply likes to torture the audience.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Antichrist (2009) - 7/10
Manderlay (2005) - 8/10
Dogville (2003) - 8/10
Dancer in the Dark (2000) - 8/10
Breaking the Waves (1996) - 7/10
The Kingdom (1994) - 9/10
Europa (1991) - 8/10

I would have sworn I already posted in this thread.

Anyway, LVT is definitely a director who inspires both love and hate in any viewer (at least, any viewer with an open mind). Manipulative as hell, but also effective as hell, and quite fascinating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks