What's new

More Denon 5800 Rumors... (1 Viewer)

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,
But what else are you giving up? Everything. Given your existing investment there would be no cheaper alternative to maintain the same level of performance while adding DPL II and (hopefully) better bass management.
If I really had to have DPLII, I could always go the cheap receiver route, and yes, I would have to give up features. Of course with a lot of effort I could hook up everything to that receiver and then send its pre-outs (assuming it has them) to one of the 5800's 7.1 inputs. This would be a major kludge though, and I'll be honest enough to admit I'ld never do it. As it stands, I also don't need the better bass management. My speakers sound fine as it currently stands.
But personally, the Denon 5800 has not met my expectations and the salesman that sold it to me is beginning to regret mentioning it. There are 3 reasons I bought the 5800:
1) I almost always buy at or near the top of a line. I usually find this to give me the most satisfaction and longevity of purchases. Once I had decided on the Denon line, the 5800 was my only choice.
2) The advertised use of the RS-232 port with external control systems. I had high hopes that I could integrate the Denon into my HTPC based control system, custom programmed by myself. As it turns out, Denon won't release the RS-232 protocol/commands to end users and instead you are expected to spend more than the 5800 itself on a Panja or Crestron system.
3) The advertised use of the RS-232 port to offer software/firmware upgrades to the 5800's processing. With the latest comments made by Michael Lee, I'm more at ease that an affordable software upgrade will be offered. I'ld be even more at ease if Denon WORLDWIDE would make an official announcement, instead of keeping us hanging.
I'll happily agree with all the other owners that it's the best sounding receiver I have owned. Other than the control issues related to the Aktis remote and the non-useable RS-232 port, I still love what I hear from the 5800. I just expect more from a company like Denon, especially for owners of its flagship receiver.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the upgrades mentioned thus far are almost immaterial to me... really I just want an open and responsive line of communication with the company. The age of information obviously isn't in effect at Denon.
------------------
View My DVD Collection
Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks