What's new

More Denon 5800 Rumors... (1 Viewer)

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know whether this is gospel or not, but there is a post in the Audio and Hi-Fi forum of AV Science that indicates a Canadian upgrade price. Note that it's not for DPL II only, but some additional features as well. The features mentioned are:
Dolby Prologic II in hardware (not software)
Better bass management
Onscreen display of volume
THX enhanced for DTS signals
Oh yeah, the upgrade date has also been pushed back to January. Get ready for the sticker shock as the price is:
$1000.00
If this is the case I will be leaving the Denon camp for good. Time to start saving up for a move to a Tag McLaren AV192R. Go here to read the full post:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/005346.html
------------------
View My DVD Collection
Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary
[Edited last by Dale_S on July 23, 2001 at 06:09 PM]

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Dale,
I was told by a Denon national sales manager that future uprades done with software would be for a "minimal" cost, certainly not for a grand.
He did mention that in the case of a hardware upgrade down the road, the price would be a bit higher (firewire board, etc.)...but again, not $1000.
It may be just that "a rumor." I wouldn't get frustrated unitl we know for sure. Look for a Denon official announcement end of August, beginning of September.
Jeremy

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
eek.gif

Sure hope we don't have to pay that much for the upgrade.
However,The onscreen display for volume would be a welcoming addition as that was my only dislike of the reciever,,So that's being really picky.
------------------
Trevor
Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
Updated new digital pictures!
June 12,2001

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Next to DPL II the thing that impresses me is "better bass management." Depending on what that means that would truly be exciting. While 1000 bones would be tough to swallow (given that it's true) the ability to properly tailor your crossovers would be a revelation. That being said a receiver of the 5800's calibre should have had better bass management from the beginning - at a minimum as good as the B&K AVR-307. Just because it says "THX" doesn't mean it has to have a fixed 80Hz crossover.
Until you hear word directly from Denon (hearsay on the 'Net is oftentimes less than accurate) I wouldn't lose much sleep over this. I would also be curious to hear from owners of upgradeable pre/pros and other receivers as to what upgrade costs have been historically.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
After hearing what a 80hz crossover sounds on my system and hearing a 40hz crossover I would pay $1k for that upgrade and consider it a steal.
Then again they better make it per channel like my Sony 444 which is btw $600 and not like the others where its global.

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
As much as we can hope, I think it's way too much to ask of Denon. Expecting them to implement an adjustable crossover on a per-channel basis is like expecting them to offer a software upgradeable flagship receiver.
Oh wait -- isn't that what my 5800 is supposed to be? :)
Dang I'm getting cynical...
------------------
View My DVD Collection

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Hmmm...
How much is $1000 Canadian, in U.S. dollars?
If this upgrade is $500-$700, it may be a bit more tolerable....maybe we shouldn't post things like this. If Denon reads it, they'll know just how much we're willing to pay for flexible bass management and DPLII :)
Jeremy

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Your right Jeremy!
So with that the most I would pay is $20..
I hope Denon is reading this now.
wink.gif

------------------
Trevor
Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
Updated new digital pictures!

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,
Canadian exchange rate is about 65 cents on the dollar. So $1000 CDN is about $650 US. Of course this varies a little day to day, but on average has stuck around the 65 cent mark for the past year.
When I order stuff from the US I usually multiply the US selling price by 1.6 to include shipping, our Canadian GST, etc. It works OK as a rough estimate.
Still, I don't see myself paying anywhere close to that when I can go buy a full receiver with DPL II for less. And as I've said before, I'm not all that interested in DPL II. I'm more interested in proving that the 5800 is EASILY upgradeable, as indicated in the Denon advertising.
I might consider the upgrade IF Denon can assure me that it also includes the digital interface for SACD/DVD-A and possibly even the new DVD-V digital interface (Firewire with associated copy protection algorithms). But, based on all the rumors thus far, I seriously doubt that Denon will come through - if they are on this track, we should have heard something official by now.
------------------
View My DVD Collection

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Dale...Relax, you're being pessimistic :)
Really, I'm sure an announcement is on the way...and soon.
They were proud to be the first to use the 232 port as the upgrade route, but now they've been beaten to it by Onkyo.
The price is around $50 to upgrade the 989, Denon will want to compete with that, IMO.
Now the rumor that we're referring to (from AVS) mentions that this may be a hardware upgrade, therefore giving us other options...flexible bass management, processing, DPLII, etc. If this is the case....the 5800 can be hardware upgraded, I'm elated :) Software is cool, but hardware upgrades on a receiver...that is VERY COOL, IMO.
Lexicon, B&K, and others have offered software upgrades in the past...but if you're a DC-1 owner and want to incorporate DVD-A or SACD you're SOL! I know that my Denon 2800 is easily upgraded with software, so that shouldn't be an issue with the 5800. The hardware upgrade would prove much more about Denon's intent to keep the flagship crowd happy than a $49 (s/w) DPLII upgrade. Again, IMO.
Don't forget, the 5800 has more options video and audio wise than ANY other receiver or pre-pro available today. Why would they want to give up king of the hill?
Jeremy
[Edited last by Jeremy Hegna on July 25, 2001 at 01:01 AM]

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>Don't forget, the 5800 has more options video and audio wise than ANY other receiver or pre-pro available today. Why would they want to give up king of the hill?<
Jeremy,
so they can sell next year's receiver. This is the manufacturering model that mid-priced companies like Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, etc. have been following for decades. It allows the highest profit margin to them. They may be willing to experiment with their highest priced units; but, I would't expect to see the product life-span of the high-end companies.
Marty

Chip E

Screenwriter
Jeremy,
i tried to email you but, it was returned to me...(said your mailbox was full)
Two nights ago, i received an email from sender "Jeremy & Tracy Hegna" In the subject line, it had something to affect of B&W speaker mpeg? I opened it with hesitation (wondering, whats this?) Now, i knew you had B&W speakers but, i was still suspicious.. I opened it thinking ok, let's see what's up.. In the field it said "Hi, how are you?" I really got suspicious but, because i have the latest Norton anti virus ( and love to see it grab virus's by the throat and slam 'em in qurrentine, lol) i double clicked the mpeg exe. BANG, virus detected... big red screen (i love Norton, hahaha) I qurrentined it and deleted it... no problem. Question is? How the hell did this happen? I just wanted to shoot you an email and let ya know i got this.. My next thought was, if i got this email..did every HTF member get one with your name on it!!!!! Holy moly... Shoot me an email back if you can to let me know what you think.
- Chip
------------------

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
I would be very glad to have the upgrade with DPL II and the new Bassmanagement etc.
Only I think that this is a little few things for $700.
But maybe there are other things integrated we do not know yet, and if the upgrade is also resulting in better overall sound performance the price may be justified.
I only hope they do not finish to push this upgrade back again. once is enouth.
------------------

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I don't see myself paying anywhere close to that when I can go buy a full receiver with DPL II for less.
But what else are you giving up? Everything. Given your existing investment there would be no cheaper alternative to maintain the same level of performance while adding DPL II and (hopefully) better bass management.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
quote: Two nights ago, i received an email ...[/quote]
Chip -
I got the very same email, only the attachment title referred to the Denon! (It was one of three like it that I received yesterday). The attachment has the W32.Sircam.Worm virus. I "bit" on the first one, since it looked like it might be a "legit" HTF request for assistance. Instead it was the work of a stealthy virus. See my thread in "After Hours":
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/004348.html
Burke
[Edited last by Burke Strickland on July 25, 2001 at 10:08 AM]

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Let me offer an update. I just got off the phone with my Denon rep and he said he heard it was a software upgrade where the prices mentioned above are far far above what it will cost the consumer. I just got the estimated wholesale cost and it was a very comfortable number.
Oh yeah-and we are expected to get it in August.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks