What's new

More Criterions confirmed - Kurosawa, Antonioni, Powell and more! (1 Viewer)

WillardK

Second Unit

That's a strong word isn't it? It's a wonderful set for those who like all of the films enough to warrant a purchase. Comparing it to the Fassbinder set is fair: that was released around the same time and is considered by fans to possibly be Criterion's best effort. Both compilations with their academic analyses are worthy, but truth is they are individual films that can be enjoyed as such, as intended. I wouldn't accuse someone of 'shunning' Veronika Voss simply because they don't like the film enough to want to purchase a copy.

It's the sort of cultural dictatorship that Criterion's aura encourages, and it's unfortunate. If I can purchase one of the Apu trilogy because having seen them all it's my favorite that I like viewing every year, why can't I do the same for Bed and Board? Because Truffaut would want it that way or because it has a prettier box?

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
For me it´s not that I don´t want the other films, it´s the price that´s the problem. If the whole set should cost around $40, I´d buy it without hesitiation, regardless of the fact that I don´t have much interest in the rest of the films. But I´m not interested in paying the double for films I don´t really want. Well, never say never, we´ll just have to wait ande see...

WillardK

Second Unit

I dunno. Isn't Criterion the Evita of dvd labels?

...and what about the recent Cassavetes box? Why? We weren't forced to buy the Kubrick box in order to get 2001. That Film Noir box uses the standard practice of a choice between individually priced discs or the collected box at a bargain price.

SimonI

Grip
Since the Criterions are basically ports of the French MK2 disks, why not pick up The 400 Blows from Amazon France (for example) here (assuming your system can play PAL R2)? The first batch of Truffaut DVDs released by MK2 included English subs (and menus) on all the supplements... something they had to drop for the subsequent releases, inlcuding the Antoine Doinel disks, probably due to licencing arrangements :frowning: The one listed does have English subs for the main film and Les mistons however.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Doinel set is $69.31 from DVD Pacific. It's a beautifully presented set and I feel that $70 is a reasonable price. But... Criterion really ought to release the films seperately. If they can seen fit to release a 2-disc and a 5-disc of Fanny & Alexander - which is rather pointless, really - then it would seem even more logically consistent to release the Truffaut films individually. The Cassavetes set may be a different kettle of fish, as I have never met anyone who only liked one or two of his films; they usually like most, if not all of his films and I think that Criterion made the right choice on that occassion.

But, be warned: 2005 will surely see more lavish boxed sets from Criterion. :D

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

Well, the PQ of the Criterion disc seems slightly better than the French. But there is also a R2UK Tartan edition and a R4 edition. But I don´t no anything about PQ regarding those two.

Actually, The 400 Blows was sold separately by Axelmusic, but it´s out of stock now.
http://www.axelmusic.com/productDetails/037429122228

Anyone know if the R3 edition of The 400 Blows is worth picking up? It has a DD 5.1 track, but the aspect ratio is 1.78:1.
http://www9.cd-wow.com/detail_result...uct_code=12085

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
It's just business. Criterion has a film (400 Blows) that garners a lot of attention and put it with other films not nearly as well known or loved. Smart business decision? I don't know. It (basically) gets down to how many copies of Bed and Board did they sell compared to how many sales they lost by people bypassing the entire boxset that wanted the 400 Blows only.

Certainly the Doinel boxset (which I own and enjoy) got quite a bit of attention last year. Much more than the BRD Fassbinder set which is superior overall. With the Bergman set, Criterion certainly did produce (at least) three fine boxsets last year.

I think they made the right call with the Truffaut boxset. I certainly can see the point about releasing films individually but do not fault the publisher for a business decision when they have rights to some films that are unlikely to fare well on their own.

Besides the suggested ideas for other releases of the 400 Blows that have already been provided - those looking for title might try a local library. My library has a few Criterion boxsets which they break down to individual titles (they just got the Cassavetes boxset in - lucky me).

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Anything else mentioned on the 15th Anniversary Dead Ringers release... Should there be a seperate thread for this?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

FWIW, I just picked up the set in the DeepDiscountDVD sale for $57 and change. I am quite a fan of 400 Blows and Stolen Kisses. The rest of the films, along with supplements, hold enough interest that at that price, I thought it was well worth buying.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
I find it odd that the rrp for the 5-disc Fanny & Alexander set is $59.95, making it quite a bargain once the usual online discounts are applied, while the rrp for the 5-disc Doinel set is a whopping $99.95. Does anyone know if the $59.95 is simply a launch price for F&A or if the Doinel rrp is likely to come down? Or why, when the size and packaging are the same for both sets, this discrepancy exists? Popularity, perhaps?

Frank*C

Grip
The difference is that the Doinel set is 4 different films and extras, while the Fanny and Alexander set is an indepth set based on one. Its consistent with Criterion in other cases, examples being the 3 disc sets for The Leopard and Battle of Algiers is at $49.95 while the the 3 film Renoir box set is at $79.95.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Thanks, Frank. That makes sense re the consistency, even if basing the price on the number of films strikes me as a little odd. Chris.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Criterion has to license each film individually, I assume. Thus the higher price for the multi-film sets, as opposed to multi-disc sets of one film.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Anyone know something about the HK edition of The 400 Blows? As I wrote earlier, it has a DD 5.1 track, but the aspect ratio is 1.78:1. I´m wondering if this is accurate and if it looks cropped?

Personally, I'd love to see Criterion release anamorphic re-releases of Brazil, Time Bandits, Armageddon (yeah, yeah), as well as the Kurosawa films (Yojimbo, Sanjuro). Not sure why there would be a re-release of Seven Samurai, unless they are enhancing the release (it's 1.33:1 ratio, so no need for anamorphic, to the best of my knowledge).

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Well, Criterion really needs to re-release Citizen Kane with a new restoration. The old one doesn´t match todays standards. If they should go more mainstream, I love to see a Criterion edition of The Usual Suspects.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
I doubt Criterion will be able to rerelease Citizen Kane, Peter. The film is owned by Warner, who said in this year's chat that they no longer license material to third parties.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks