What's new

More Criterions confirmed - Kurosawa, Antonioni, Powell and more! (1 Viewer)

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Marco, Criterion no longer has the rights to those titles, and they aren't getting them back. They can only reissue what they still own.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Wow, thanks for linking to that Anthony!!!

I really hope this will be anamorphically enhanced and I hope the commentary track listed is the Criterion recording with Cronenberg, Jeremy Irons and company, ported over.

Any idea which studio is putting this out, it doesn't seem to be listed?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
More (and better) Kurosawa and Powell/Pressburger (a.k.a. "The Archers") is always a great thing! Woo hoo!!!

I hope Criterion will also be able to work on the Archers' THE SMALL BACK ROOM, GONE TO EARTH, THE ELUSIVE PIMPERNEL, THE SPY IN BLACK and ONE OF OUR AIRCRAFT IS MISSING in the not-too-distant future, if they aren't already.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
John, I was thinking the same thing since the only other Google search turned up a list of release dates from a local Montreal retailer...

Canadian only releases worry me. I hope this gets deserved treatment.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
So what's the word on that Canadian 15th Anniversary Dead Ringers? Anyone been able to find out if it's anamorphic? It looks like it's porting the Criterion extras (at least partially), and since the Criterion is out of print, it would be a shame if this wasn't a new anamorphic transfer. Otherwise I'll order it right now.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Anyone know if there will be a separate release of The 400 Blows, from the The Adventures of Antoine Doinel box set? The old Criterion edition is inferior in comparison with the new release. But I don´t want the whole box set since I´m not interested in the other films and it´s rather expensive.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Peter, I'd like to buy The 400 Blows by itself, too, but Criterion says there are no plans for an individual release. It'd be nice if they would separately release all films that are part of sets.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
That Doinel set is awesome! I highly recommend you pick it up. I've enjoyed each film in it. It's a much more rewarding experience watching them all back-to-back. I should do it again soon.

WillardK

Second Unit
I'd bet that of all the Criterion sets, that Doinel collection has the most buyers (including myself) avoiding it because they want only one film. Whether it's due to the difficulty of marketing them seperately, some sort of cultural dictatorship or both, I think it's too bad Criterion won't split these sets up. Especially with their pricing.

Great news about The Eclipse.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

I agree, I think that the Doinel cycle, is a work of art as a whole. And I think that the price is very reasonable, considering everything that is included. And, if you are only interested in The 400 Blows, you can still find copies of it from Fox/Lorber. But, I would have to recommend the boxed set, I think it is one of the most beautiful DVD releases I have ever seen (actually, I can't think of anything that even comes close!). Each film looks brilliant, and the supplements perfectly complement the already outstanding films. :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

P.S. If they are going to revisit any of their older releases, I have to put the two Samuel Fuller films to the top of my list! I don't know if there are better materials available, but, these films are full of scratches and blemishes. And, they could also add some supplements, like a documentary or possibly a commentary by Scorsese of Jarmusch? An Anamorphic transfer would be nice too.

WillardK

Second Unit

They are very individual films which are part of a thematic whole. The same can be said for the excellent Fassbinder set, which I would not part with. The implication seems to be that the reluctant buyer has not seen or doesn't appreciate the connectivity of the 'unwanted' films. I've seen the Doinels and am not interested in repeated viewings of any but 400 Blows. Likewise, someone who enjoys only Maria Braun enough to buy it should be able to do so without having the other two forced upon them. Criterion is a publisher, not a surrogate artist. The price is not reasonable, by the way, if you have no interest in over half of the material included.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'd really love to have the Criterion commentary on the WB disc too. Probably won't happen, but I can dream!! ;)

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
The Criterion Collection hardly created the connectivity of these films. They only published them as a whole, much like a boxed set of music would be released, where the CDs are only available as a set. Furthermore, at the end of the day, I have no interest if whether you choose to buy this set or not. I only stated my opinion regarding this release, and I still think it was a bargain.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

That´s to bad, but haven´t the box set been out for sale a while now? I thought a separate release would come when sales are dropping for the box set (as I think will happen with the Matrix set)? Buying both the Antoine box set and the Fanny And Alexander box set would be to hard for a students wallet...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I really don't see why the Doinel boxset is so hated. Boggled my mind. In my opinion it's surely in the Top 5 of Criterion releases all-time. Each film is wonderful and extras are plentiful. You get to see the characters' whole lives, instead of just a glimpse that you get with the first film. Of course The 400 Blows is a superior film to the rest, but in no way should the rest be so shunned. Actually makes me sad, becuase I enjoyed the whole series so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks