What's new

more car repair ?'s (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I keep seeing these threads on home repair and car repair and I'm always reminded of things I'm supposed to be working on :D

Here's my question,
what is the best way to go about fixing an oil leak on a car? My roommate's toyota has about 110k on it, and it leaks oil like crazy. I do the oil changes for her, but I can't tell where the leak is coming from, it almost appears to be between the engine and transmission, I need to take it to a carwash and spray it down so I can see better, but it's definitely not coming from around the oilpan, that can't be an easy fix can it?

maybe I'll clean it up and post pictures :D

Eve T

Supporting Actor
It's probablly your seal. You are sure it's oil correct? If so change your rear main oil seal and go from there.

This will NOT be an easy fix being a front wheel drive car. I don't imagine there would be a lot of space to get up in there and do this. You'll most likely have to pull then engine to replace the rear main seal.

Yes, I work in the automotive business.
Me hard at work. :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
positive it's oil.
aside from the possibility of oil leaking through the valve seats and getting burned, the thing goes through oil pretty damn quick. It only holds 3 qts, and I think a lot of it leaks out. The whole underside is coated with oil :angry:
it's a paseo, same thing as a toyota tercel for the most part. Replacing a rear main is going to be beyond my capabilities with the tools I have and the space I have methinks.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Shouldn't be too very difficult if you can get an engine hoist. You can rent a hoist and an engine stand at certain places for a day or two.

Basically after you unbolt everything, pull it out and put it on the stand it's easy sailing. Just a pain in the ass. If you have not done this type of thing before I suggest you make a diagram of what you unbolted so you can remember what goes where when you lower the engine back into the compartment.

If you take this to a mechanic it's gonna cost big bucks. I'd buy some beer and get a couple buddy's to help you.

If I were close to you, I'd help.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I can rent a hoist, no big deal. I'm concerned about the AC lines though, it's a new enough car that it doesn't need R12, but I don't want to have to open the lines up and have it re-charged.
In the meantime I'll wash the underbody down, maybe pull the oil pan and reseal it just to be sure and try to be SURE it's the rear main before tackling it. The car is going to need some valve work too, I need to do a compression test and maybe the valves first.

I think you're right though, after you suggested the main I went to some toyota boards and with some searching, it looks like a lot of people are replacing rear mains on the tercel engines. I'll get a cheapie repair manual, that should help a little.

ShawnWingate

Auditioning
On the Paseo, you are able to pull the tranny with the engine installed. You want to ensure that the engine is supported well and that you will have the ability to lower the transmission side of the engine to allow the tranny to clear the wheelwell

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

YOU ARE THE MAN!
What else do you know about our friend, mr paseo?
aside that paseo means walk in spanish.

seriously, most of my family owns toyotas, but this paseo is the biggest POS ever. It's a 96, so it's the newer bodystyle, but not much else is different AFAIK. It's the poorest excuse for a toyota I've ever seen.

Here's another one for you since you know the car, as long as I'm in there jacking around with the tranny and engine, how difficult is it to replace the clutch? the throwout bearing screams like a banshee on the damn thing.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
here's a really bad pic, the tires are wet so I can't run it up on ramps to get a better shot. It's upside down sort of, so the engine is to the left. Looks like that is definitely where the leak is coming from.

www.onlinemac.com/users/philip/leak.jpg

sorry it isn't better, not much room to work with there.

ShawnWingate

Auditioning
you would be crazy to pull the tranny twice. change the clutch, machine the flyweel, and change the throwout bearing while you have it apart.if you are sure that it is not the oil pan gasket I would be willing to bet it is the rear main seal. The clutch is not hard to replace after the trans is out just remove the pressure plate and the clutch disc. I would recommend that since you have the flywheel removed that you send it to a machine shop and have it re-surfaced( could mean the life of that new clutch). If you have any other questions feel free to email me at
wingatesl at comcast dot net

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
:eek:
you're the man! thanks!

I'll replace the oil pan gasket as long as I'm down there, it's leaking a little bit, but that main seal is the biggest offender. Next it's time for valve seats, the roommate owes me BIG TIME :angry:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
one last one. There are a few cheap clutch kits on fleabay, 100 bucks for everything. Think it's worth it, or go with a reputable brand or toyota OEM? With all the work involved it's not really worth my time to save even 50 or 100 bucks if I have to re-do the damn thing in a few months.

I can't link the auction, but it looks like the brand is SECO, never heard of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks