More car buying advise

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jassen M. West, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Is starting a month before I'm ready to buy too early? I sent an email out to a local dealer about getting into a car next month. Basically looking for rough pricing and describing what I was looking for. I've read that dealing with internet sales is much easier than actually going in to haggle. The response I got seemed very uninterested. Do I just move on to the next dealer?

thanks
    Jay

oops i meant advice not advise can i get this fixed?

2. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Jassen,

I've had the best luck pitting at least 2 dealers against each other. If there is only 1 car you're looking to get into, this may be tougher but if you have a few choices, you can essentially say to them I like x, y and z cars and I really don't care which one I end up in so give me your best price. I'd say it is perfect timing to start this as you have a whole month to have these dealers compete for your business. Have fun with it (I'm a rate negotiator for my job so this ends up being a lot of fun for me).

3. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I've got a friend that just got into internet car sales. He responds with 200.00 under invoice as the starting price (Chrysler/Dodge), depending on model - aint getting a Viper for that.

When I was looking, some dealers responded via internet with a firm price, but Toyota just said "come on in and we'll talk"... duh, like I didn't know that was an option....

I ended up purchasing new from Carmax. While their used vehicles seem a bit high, their new seem quite competitive, especially since they include the transporation charges in their quotes which other folks conveniently leave off.

I definitely researched for a month before making the purchase.

Good luck !

4. Paul Simmons

Paul Simmons Stunt Coordinator

Jassen,

email is a good way to start the process, what you should do is know in advance what the invoice and what the MSRP is of the car you are looking for. Decide on the options and colour combo you want. Then what you should do is email (or fax if the dealer doesn't have email) a letter that says something like:

"Dear dealership, my name is Paul and I am interested in purchasing a Nissan Maxima SE. The options I am looking for are "blah blah" and the colour combo I would like is black on black. What I am looking to spend is $30,000(a price around invoice) as this is my maximum purchase price INCLUSIVE of all the freight and dealer fees. I have been already pre-approved by my bank for a loan so I will not be need to do any financing with you & I plan to make a purchase by the end of this month. I look forward to working with you, please contact me at......"

Yeah, something like this. By saying your financing through the bank and not going to do it through the dealer, you can negotiate the price a lot easier since a lot of dealers won't haggle unless you are going to completely pay for the car up front. Also by listing the colour and the options you want the salesman will know you have done your research and know what you want. By listing the price, you can weed out some the dealers who want to rip you off and think your asking price is too crazy. Giving them a time frame of when you plan to make the purchase shows that you are serious about this purchase. As usual, it's best to buy a car near the end of the month since some salespeople will be willing to negotiate the price in order to make the sales goals for the month.

It's a good strategy, if you don't know of the market prices, check out www.edmunds.com
    Of course this is just the beginning to the whole car buying experience. The real struggle will begin when you're actually IN the salesmans office at the dealership.
    Make sure you take a pen with you, then when you are sitting down with the salesman, you can be like "Listen, if you can give the car to me for $30,000, I'll sign your papers RIGHT now" while your twirling your pen in your hand [​IMG]

Let us know how it goes!

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    you mean the 'twirl the pen around your thumb' trick? i can do that with both hands at once. makes me want to buy a car just to show off to the salesman. [​IMG]

CJ

6. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Thanks for all your help, I have been living on the edmunds website for a few weeks now I'm going to start sending emails to a few more dealers.

Tommy, what would it cost me to have you do the negotiations? [​IMG]

thanks again,
    jay

7. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

The rest of that advice is pretty good, but this is simply not true. The dealer couldn't care less whether you finance through a bank or bring a suitcase full of cash--they get their money immediately either way. What the dealer really wants it to finance through them - they can get a cut from the bank/financing company. You can get a lower price on the car if you finance through the dealer because the dealer can make up the money on what is called the "back end" - financing. I would get the financing lined up through your bank/CU, then negotiate the price of the vehicle, and once that's negotiated, ask the dealer if they can beat your financing rate. Of course, manufacturers will often have special deals on financing that a bank can't touch.

I would also take a look at carsdirect.com. Look at the price they will give you - that's through a local dealer, plus carsdirect charges about $550 to the dealer, so the dealer is actually willing to sell you the car for $550 less than what you see on carsdirect. Of course, you'll never know who the dealer is, but it will give you a good idea of what kind of a price you can expect to get. (I got mine for about $1200 less than the carsdirect price)

I bought a car through e-mail in December. I negotiated the price, ordered the car, and the first time I set foot in the dealership was when I went to pick it up. The entire transaction was over e-mail, so there was no in-person haggling (well, they did try to tack on a $200 fee, I said "no" and they took it off with no problem). I am never going to buy a car any other way again.

8. BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry Stunt Coordinator

You can save some money by avoiding the GPS systems the car companies offer and get a standalone device like a TomTom GO 300 or 700. That's a quick and easy way to save money on a new car and still get all the new technology.

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

There's a tutorial on how to buy a car at www.edmunds.com - read it. Study it. Live it.

10. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Use the internet pricing as a guideline for a 'good deal' and then take it from there to lower the price even further. Phil's suggestions are good. Understand, there's all sorts of negotiations you can wrangle. For example, what about free oil changes for the next three years? First brake job free. Many dealers will negotiate service in addition to price to sweeten a deal. In the end, as a final leverage point, give them your business card and tell them you'll be buying in the next 24 hours and have them respond with a better offer than their final offer. Then pick the one you like. As a side note, some salesman are more likely to cut a better deal than others. Often, in the back, maybe by the break room or somewhere else, is a chalkboard with their names on it and numbers indicating how many sales they've made this month. Choose the salesman with either the lowest sales or the one that needs one more to catch up. They get bonuses for sales you know.