1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

More BIG SCREEN Fun in New Jersey!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Apruzzese, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Another opportuity is presenting itself to help the preservation of a classic movie theatre and show your support for the art of cinema! As some of the forum members know, my friend is the director of film programming for the Loews Jersey theatre in Jersey City, New Jersey. They have recently announced their winter/spring schedule of events and here is a brief summary:
    Friday, February 22
    GLORY starring Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman. Showtime 7:45pm
    Saturday, February 23
    THE TUSKEGEE AIRMEN starring Laurence Fishburne, Malcolm-Jamal Warner and Cuba Gooding, Jr. Showtime 2:00pm
    MALCOLM X starring Denzel Washington and Angela Bassett. Showtime 7:30pm
    April 2002
    CLASSIC COMEDY WEEKEND
    Friday, April 5
    PILLOW TALK (1959) - in widescreen CinemaScope and color, presented in a brand new 35mm print! Plus, a classic comedy short and cartoon.
    Saturday, April 6 (matinee)
    WAY OUT WEST (1937) - The New York chapter of the Sons of the Desert presents a Salute to Laurel and Hardy: including rare Hal Roach shorts.
    Saturday, April 6 (evening)
    IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD (1963) - presented in widescreen Ultra Panavision and dye-transfer Technicolor.
    SCIENCE-FICTION WEEKEND
    Friday, April 26
    CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977) - presented in widescreen Panavision and Dolby Stereo. Plus, 20 minutes of rare, original science-fiction coming attractions from the fabulous fifties!
    Saturday, April 27
    Classic Kiddie Double-Feature Matinee:
    THE BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS (1957) plus
    DR. WHO AND THE DALEKS (1965) - presented in widescreen Techniscope and dye-transfer Technicolor.
    Saturday, April 27
    FORBIDDEN PLANET (1956) - presented in widescreen CinemaScope and, for the first time since 1956, Perspecta Stereophonic Sound! Plus, a Tom and Jerry cartoon in CinemaScope and Perspecta, and a short featuring the MGM Symphony Orchestra.
    MAY 2002
    JAMES BOND 40th ANNIVERSARY
    Friday, May 3
    GOLDFINGER (1964) - presented in dye-transfer Technicolor.
    Saturday, May 4 (matinee)
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (1969)- presented in widescreen Panavision and dye-transfer Technicolor.
    Saturday, May 4
    DR. NO (1962) - special 40th anniversary screening, presented in dye-transfer Technicolor.
    There will be displays of original James Bond artifacts and memorabilia in the grand lobby. We'll also show rare Bond trailers and production shorts on the big screen, plus a few surprises!
    =======
    If you're in the New York City/Tri-State area, don't miss this unique opportunity to see these films and support the restoration of the theatre. All are presented in 35mm on the BRAND NEW 50-foot-wide Loews Jersey screen with beautiful carbon arc projection! The Loew's Jersey is a magnificent, ornate, 3100-seat Rapp & Rapp designed movie palace, built in 1929 and currently undergoing full restoration. It is one of the finest surviving theatres of its type in the New York area. Further info: www.loewsjersey.org
    Hope to see as many HTF'er's there as possible!

2. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    Thanks, Peter! This is like a dream come true. I'm going to attend as many of these as I can. It's been a long time since I last saw a big screen classic at the Loew's: BEN-HUR in 1961, age 6!

--Bill

3. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Excellent news Peter![​IMG]
    I'll be there for Mad World, the Bond films, Forbidden Planet and probably more.
    Anyone within driving distance should make every effort to attend these wonderful programs. As I have said before, the Loews Jersey is my childhood hangout and every chance I have to help it out, I will.
    Thanks again for keeping us updated Peter.[​IMG]

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    IMPORTANT UPDATE on the sound at the Loew's Jersey!!
    Just got this note from Bob, the director of Film Programming: