What's new

More big classical titles in Super Audio on the way! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I read a few blurbs about this news on Audio Asylum, but thanks for posting the link. I am not a huge classical fan, so the following bit of information from the link grabbed my attention:
The newest SACD announcement from Universal's Lost Highway label is that the very popular soundtrack album to the movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" will be coming out as an SACD disc. The soundtrack SACD will be part of Universal Music's January SACD releases on a Single Layer Stereo SACD.
Except for the part about it being a single-layer disc, I am glad to see the soundtrack to O Brother, Where Art Thou? coming to SACD. Admittedly, I don't have the CD, but I have heard some tracks from this disc, and it is a winner. I imagine this SACD will sell for $14.99 like other Universal single-layer discs.
I am very pleased with Universal's involvement in SACD. They are giving us excellent titles at good prices. Now if they would only release Steely Dan Gaucho. :)

Seth_S

Second Unit
In my opinion, it's disappointing news. Universal Music has yet to tap their vast back catalogue. They also have yet to release large orchestral works that would benefit the most from SACD, such as the music by Mahler, Bruckner and R. Strauss.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I believe Universal did say that Gaucho would be out in January. If only they would release Aja on SACD too. I'd be the first in line for that one.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
According to this article, new hybrid SACD production lines in Hong Hong and Canada will begin production in January 2003 and can produce as many as 10 million hybrid SACDs per year.
This should drive down prices and increase title availability.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Danny, I read about this, as Lee posted a link to an Audio Asylum discussion of it in another thread. As I said to Lee in that thread, I hope Sony is paying attention. :)

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Seth,
I agree with you especially in regards to Bruckner. :emoji_thumbsup:
I'd like to know the process for choosing which albums a label puts on SACD.

Seth_S

Second Unit

Based on Unviseral's current and upcoming SACD releases, it seems like they are picking recordings that were either recorded, or can be easily remixed to surround sound.

Sony on the other hand has the right idea. They're picking recordings based on the quality of the performance, even if that means it will only be a stereo SACD.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Lee I will indeed give Universal a chance. I want the SACD format to succeed and Universal will be a big part of that success. Especially since they have announced Oh Brother Where art Thou for January. :)
New SACDs are coming out now at a rate faster than I can afford, so things are humming along nicely now.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Especially since they have announced Oh Brother Where art Thou for January.
Hmmm.....where's my sarcasm hat....ah, here it is.....

O.K. let's see:

(Good) country music on SACD.

A single layer SACD.

I seriously doubt JoeBob & LindaSue will look excitedly at themselves, jump up & floor their 350cube extended-cab w/dual exhausts down to Tweeter and drop $300 on a 222ES SACD player just to hear this disc. And, only hear it at home (don't forget about the proliferation of mobile DVD systems available now. You know, the same ones that can play Dolby Digital & DTS tracks).

Uh huh, a real good marketing decision there.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Gee, Lance, stereotype much? :rolleyes:If you are going to stereotype, go all the way with it. The type of stores that your "JoeBob & LindaSue" characters shop at don't sell SACDs anyway, even hybrids.
Now that that is out of the way, let's get back to a legitimate discussion of new SACDs.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Check out where I live: it's been my home for 32 years and those "stereotypes" are everywhere--trust me.
The type of stores that your "JoeBob & LindaSue" characters shop at don't sell SACDs anyway, even hybrids.
Not to sound like an Asylum member here ("ah HAH-gotcha!!! that kind of junk) but you just brought up another point backing up my bad marketing point: just how many pure country-loving fans are also audiophiles AND that own sack-dee players? Not too many, I'll bet.
In a related matter: I wonder how come Sony never released any Sade albums on SACD. Awesome music, beautifully recorded, big sellers & appeals to many different people. A perfect way to introduce hi-rez or m-ch music to the masses. But so far, nothing.
22...TWENTY-TWO.....Rolling Stone albums released on dual-layer SACD discs with no mention of its hi-rez capability until you open the package and--maybe--notice that little curly symbol on the disc. Huh???
So much related to SACD makes no sense to me.
LJ

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Hey Lance, my brother lives in Texas.
And I am the one saying
Especially since they have announced Oh Brother Where art Thou for January.
What Joeboblance cares about is not my concern. When CDs came out most average folks didn't have a clue what they were also. It will take time and snobby attitudes won't win them over.
Besides, if SACD becomes like the LP, I will be happy. Mass appeal is over rated IMO.
As far as the Stones on SACD is concerned: Those of us who know what SACD is will find them and the others will learn there is a new format avaiable and maybe read more on it. This is a baby format with limited production capability. I remember the frustrations with CDs for several years. Too expensive (still are), not enough of them. The only thing that was good about it to me was the Classical and Jazz freaks were pushing it. Improving it disk by disk.
When rock came on board most of the cds were only good for car stereos anyway. Barely better than mp3! Popular music is for mass sales, not nessarily high quality. Ask most people at work about fidelity issues and their eyes glaze over. "My ears are good enough" "I don't know what to listen for" ETC.
In summation, the internet, is pushing interest in SACDs and DVD-A. Marketing will be geared to us I think. So the more we ask for specific recordings the better chance 'they' willrelease them. At least in my way of looking at it.
Does anyone know when the new Hillary Hahn SACD is coming out? The one I have now is supurb sounding, as a SACD and a recording. Oh and the music is fine also.
By the way my post jumped out of spell check and was directly posted and did not let me add any thing more to it. I had to edit it. ?;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lance, I have never said that SACD or DVD-Audio have been marketed effectively. In fact, I have often said just the opposite. Let's just leave inane stereotypes out of it. The point is that SACD and DVD-Audio are not being marketed effectively to the masses, regardless of their locale, education, occupation, income, race, creed, etc., etc., etc. The erudite classical music aficionado who shops at Barnes & Noble or Borders can't find SACDs either.

The point has been made. Let's just discuss new SACDs and leave out the extracurriculars.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
While I didn't run out and purchase the redbook of 'Oh Brother Where art Thou', I just might pick up the SACD based on Dan Tyminski's performance on the 'New Favorite' SACD.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
While I didn't run out and purchase the redbook of 'Oh Brother Where art Thou', I just might pick up the SACD based on Dan Tyminski's performance on the 'New Favorite' SACD.
This is one I also missed the first time on Redbook. But if it comes out on SACD, I will surely buy it.

Great music, timeless Americana.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I've been staring at the O Brother, Where Art Thou? CD in stores for months, but have not walked out with it. The SACD is on my wantlist, though. Thus far, I have delved into bluegrass lightly, as I have just six Alison Krauss CDs and two Krauss SACDs. I've been thinking about picking up a Nickel Creek CD since I have heard good things about them. Also, Dan Tyminski put out a solo album recently. A local Borders had the CD featured on an endcap when it came out. Does anyone have this CD? How is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks