More big classical titles in Super Audio on the way!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, I read a few blurbs about this news on Audio Asylum, but thanks for posting the link. I am not a huge classical fan, so the following bit of information from the link grabbed my attention:

3. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

In my opinion, it's disappointing news. Universal Music has yet to tap their vast back catalogue. They also have yet to release large orchestral works that would benefit the most from SACD, such as the music by Mahler, Bruckner and R. Strauss.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, I believe Universal did say that Gaucho would be out in January. If only they would release Aja on SACD too. I'd be the first in line for that one.

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

According to this article, new hybrid SACD production lines in Hong Hong and Canada will begin production in January 2003 and can produce as many as 10 million hybrid SACDs per year.
    This should drive down prices and increase title availability.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, I read about this, as Lee posted a link to an Audio Asylum discussion of it in another thread. As I said to Lee in that thread, I hope Sony is paying attention. [​IMG]

8. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I'm a big Gergiev fan, so this is very welcome news!

NP: Suzanne Vega's "Knight Moves"

9. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Seth,
    I agree with you especially in regards to Bruckner. [​IMG]
    I'd like to know the process for choosing which albums a label puts on SACD.

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

11. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

Based on Unviseral's current and upcoming SACD releases, it seems like they are picking recordings that were either recorded, or can be easily remixed to surround sound.

Sony on the other hand has the right idea. They're picking recordings based on the quality of the performance, even if that means it will only be a stereo SACD.

12. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Lee I will indeed give Universal a chance. I want the SACD format to succeed and Universal will be a big part of that success. Especially since they have announced Oh Brother Where art Thou for January. [​IMG]
    New SACDs are coming out now at a rate faster than I can afford, so things are humming along nicely now.

13. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Gee, Lance, stereotype much? [​IMG] If you are going to stereotype, go all the way with it. The type of stores that your "JoeBob & LindaSue" characters shop at don't sell SACDs anyway, even hybrids.
    Now that that is out of the way, let's get back to a legitimate discussion of new SACDs.

15. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Check out where I live: it's been my home for 32 years and those "stereotypes" are everywhere--trust me.

16. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Hey Lance, my brother lives in Texas.
    And I am the one saying

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lance, I have never said that SACD or DVD-Audio have been marketed effectively. In fact, I have often said just the opposite. Let's just leave inane stereotypes out of it. The point is that SACD and DVD-Audio are not being marketed effectively to the masses, regardless of their locale, education, occupation, income, race, creed, etc., etc., etc. The erudite classical music aficionado who shops at Barnes & Noble or Borders can't find SACDs either.

The point has been made. Let's just discuss new SACDs and leave out the extracurriculars.

18. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

While I didn't run out and purchase the redbook of 'Oh Brother Where art Thou', I just might pick up the SACD based on Dan Tyminski's performance on the 'New Favorite' SACD.

19. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I've been staring at the O Brother, Where Art Thou? CD in stores for months, but have not walked out with it. The SACD is on my wantlist, though. Thus far, I have delved into bluegrass lightly, as I have just six Alison Krauss CDs and two Krauss SACDs. I've been thinking about picking up a Nickel Creek CD since I have heard good things about them. Also, Dan Tyminski put out a solo album recently. A local Borders had the CD featured on an endcap when it came out. Does anyone have this CD? How is it?