More Affordable Super Audio Players Announced!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Lee Scoggins, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    We have some big announcements on the Super Audio front that should make it more affordable for you to get music in this hirez format.

First, Sony is offering a new $149 player in its new line alonf with several other models. Here is the TWICE article:

http://www.twice.com/index.asp?layou...y=breakingNews

Second, Samsung has entered the SACD market with two players according to Ole Lund Christensen, a reliable industry source and audio designer.

Since there remains a lot of interest in the format on this board and there have been concerns about low-end players being hard to find, I thought I would mention this here today.

[​IMG]

2. Michael St. Clair

It's always good to see more affordable players, but in the low-end high-res market, it seems there is a lot more interest in universal models these days (which I've seen you support as well).

3. charles white

charles white Second Unit

That's good news but when are we going to see in car SACD players?

4. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

If anyone would ever come out with a megachanger that had both sacd and dvd audio (and that sounded good) I would be all over it.

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I'm sure this will happen eventually.

[​IMG]

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The new Sony players seem like a good idea. Now, can they produce some reasonably priced hybrid SA-CD's that aren't by Bob Dylan or James Taylor to compliment them?[​IMG]

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Agreed. Bruce Springsteen would be nice....[​IMG]

8. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I'm waiting for the Samsung HD941.

DVD player with DVI output. Plus, DVDA and SACD compatible.

I only want one player for all discs.

I -almost- bought the cheapo Pioneer (563) the other day. I had it in my hand at Best Buy, walked to the CD department, and then saw the pathetic SACD and DVDA section. This section was tucked in the corner, completely out of order and out of stock. It looked like it hadn't been restocked or organized since Christmas. I was going to pick up Dark Side of the Moon and they didn't even have it. Needless to say, it was a big disappointment and I put the player back.

I then purchased the new CD from My Morning Jacket. (Not available in DVDA or SACD I might add.)

9. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    Nice idea in that I don't need another DVD capable player.

But, it would be nice to have a single disc SA-CD player.

I've had it with changers - hated the idea of them way back when. My cd playing habits were/are too sporadic to just dump a few discs in the player and live with them a while, and our 101 disc changer is even more of a hassle. After trying changers out in the CD and DVD front, I've gone back the single players.

My 15-year-old Sony CD player just gave out and I'm looking for another single disc player to replace it - very hard to find, and Sony only has one such model at the moment (two, really, but one doesn't have a remote)

Joel

10. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

The dark side of the moon disc is often mixed in with the regular cd's.. i bet they had it over in another section.

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Patrick, the big hybrid re-releases are mixed in with the CD's, Stones, Dylan, and Floyd are anyway. Music Direct has 1050 SACD titles and I know many hundreds of DVD-A's. Busted Buy has become a slack hi-rez dealer in many of their stores, including the one in this locale. The prices are decent but the selection is very poor for the not so dynamic duo of hi-rez-dom, well, dynamic sounding but not so dynamic selling.

Joel, the SCD's 222ES & 555ES have a Single-disc mode where they automatically open up to the slot you're using. Sony must think average folks want 5-disc changers given how few single-disc players, outside of DVD-combi players, they've produced. Anyway, these new models proably have the Single-disc mode if it's any solace to you. It's not as fast as a little drawer but it helps some.

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Lady and gents, I don't know how I managed to miss this one — a threadful of HTF veterans talkin' hardware in a software section. For shame, for shame. Not to mention the pounding on my rep.