Mordaunt-Short

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Williams, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Does anybody know what has happened to Mordaunt-Short? When you try to go to their Website you get redirected to Opus Technologies. I am interested in the MS 302 speakers but now that their Website is gone I would be a little wary of purchasing them now.

2. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

3. JustinDR

JustinDR Agent

Remove the hyphen (www.mordauntshort.com) and it will work.
    By the way, the 302s are an excellent value.

4. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I notice they have the new 912 and 914 to augment (or perhaps replace?) the 902 monitor and 904 2-way floorstander. The woofer is slightly larger in the new models, and the speaker itself is about an inch wider and considerably taller. I wonder if they'll introduce a "916" and "918" to replace the 906 and 908?

I agree with their decision to make the floorstander taller, as the 904 was a little too short to have the tweeter at ear level. However, I like that my 906's are only seven inches wide - slim towers allegedly produce a deeper soundstage by allowing more reflected sound pass around the speaker, or so I've read.

5. Phil Cavanagh

My 5.1 HT system consist of four of the 902's with the 905 center speaker powered by an Onkyo TXDS797, MIT T2's on the fronts.

Overall I am pleased with the MS speakers, I feel that they are a good value at their price point.

6. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Phil,

The 902's are definitely a nice speaker, I use them as surrounds. I find that they need to be at least 9" away from the back wall to avoid bass boom however (though almost all speakers have this problem if placed too close to a wall).

I have the 906 towers for mains - after auditioning the Paradigm Reference Studio/60, I prefered the 906's, and they're a good match for my Marantz SR6200. I have them about two feet from the front wall, just under three feet from the side walls, which seems to be the optimal position.