Mordaunt Short vs B&W

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matty B, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

What is the general consensus on how these two british speakers fare against each other? I would IDEALLY like to finish the rest of my HT with B&W speakers to match my DM602s but that would be pricey, and im worried about the DM602s not being enough for front speakers, I feel like the acceptable way to do things is floor standing fronts and bookshelf rears. I would be looking at the MS904 floor standing speakers and an MS504 center channel. The B&W alternatives are vastly more expensive ($700 at LEAST for the floor standing speakers). I know timbre matching for the fronts and center is impairative, but is it as much so for the rears? Let me know, I value your opinions greatly.

2. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Have you listened to both?
    I have no experience with B&W, but I do have the MS-906 fronts. They produce great bass with my Marantz SR-6200, enough that I don't need a sub with music, though I may end up buying one to enhance HT.
    With proper amplification, I would imagine the 904's to be OK in the bass department with music, but not the best for HT without a sub.

3. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

I plan on getting an SVS 16-46 along with this purchse, that's why I picked the MS904 instead of the Ms906, I still may reconsider that and go with the 906s, I was basically seeing if the MS were on par with the B&W.