Mordaunt-Short 900 Series?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DominicL, Oct 28, 2003.

1. DominicL

DominicL Auditioning

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so here goes...I saw some Mordaunt-Short's 900-Series speakers (the 906) the other day, and they look just great! Specs are nice also, but I just don't know what they sound like. I'm wondering what you guys think of these? Thanks!

Dominic

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Damn fine speakers. [​IMG] I am using 902s in a small 2ch system in my bedroom, and I am very happy with them. They are very clear and articulate, particularly with vocals, and handle pretty much any type of music, and they will work great for HT as well. Power handling is very impressive, and build quality is good. In person, the cherry looks nicer than the black, IMO.

3. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I auditioned the 902's for a while. I liked the sound overall. It was pretty neutral maybe a bit thin sounding some times. I think they are similar to the B&W DM303's but slightly more laid back in the highs. The speakers look fantastic up close with the grill over the tweeter and the seamless aluminum cone. They build quality is definitely high. The only reason I didn't buy them is because I decided to go the DIY route.

4. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I chose the MS 906 after comparing them with the Paradigm Studio 60, Mission 774, and PSB 4T/5T.

The 906's are great - very detailed, and the more power you give them (as in high-quality amplification, not turning up the volume on a receiver), the more clear & deep bass they produce (the 906s are rated to handle 150W RMS, while the 902s are up to 100W). Bass also depends on how securly they are standing - the supplied spikes make a noticeable difference.

I have a Marantz 6200, and while the 906s sound great, I know they'd sound better with more power.

With due respect to those that like the Cherry finish, the black ones with the cloth grilles removed look killer when you want to impress your friends [​IMG]