Moooore!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Charles Coates, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Charles Coates

Just saw Kill Bill and I am now bloodthirsty for more violent swordplay!

I've seen the Lone Wolf and cub series, but the DVDs I have are almost unwatchable due to the bad transfer. Can anyone reccomend any more cool movies such as these?

-Thanks

2. Jeff Mason

Jeff Mason Stunt Coordinator

3. Ralph Jenkins

Ralph Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

If you like the Lone Wolf and Cub series, AnimEigo is currently releasing DVDs with new anamorphic transfers. They've only released the first two so far, but there are more to come.

I also highly recommend Lady Snowblood, which was obviously a big inspiration for Kill Bill. It's about a woman born and raised for the sole purpose of vengeance; she must find and kill the four people responsible for murdering her father and repeatedly raping her mother. The movie is divided into chapters like KB, features sword fights with lots of arterial sprays, and there's even a brief manga sequence. KB even appropriated the theme song. The two LS films are currently available on R2 DVD.

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, be sure to check out Hero, a recent film with Jet Li and Maggie Cheung, for some great cinematography and fight choreography.

4. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

I just saw takeshi kitano's zatoichi at the local film fest, and there's some great, fast swordplay in it.

when that hits dvd, it'll be a treat.