What's new

Moonlighting TV-series on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Veli-Matti Reitti

Stunt Coordinator
With the pilot episode already released a long time ago, when is the actual series coming out? This one of my all time favorite TV-series. I would be willing to give almost anything to get season-boxes of this superb show. Why is ABC holding off on this one? It's unbelievable considering the amount of worthless shows(Felicity, Once and Again, mad about you, 24 etc...just my opinion, don't mean to upset anyone) being released in the near future and classics like this one along with many, many others are simply overlooked.

I guess it's comparable to the Ally Mcbeal release. They released the pilot episode and it wasn't quite as successful as they would have hoped and therefore don't intend to release any season boxes. At least not any R1 boxes. I know season sets of Ally are available in some other regions.

Is there an ongoing petition regarding Moonlighting that i am not aware of? Can't say i've ever seen one. Can't imagine i am the only one wanting this wonderful TV-series to be released on DVD.

Ned

Supporting Actor
I fear the Pilot was used to see how much interest there was in the series and it didn't sell well enough :frowning:
Would be a nice series for DVD, especially with some commentary by the 2 stars.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Considering Anchor Bay was giving them away free at one point, I'd guess it didn't sell anywhere near expectations. Same thing for Supergirl.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Considering Anchor Bay was giving them away free at one point, I'd guess it didn't sell anywhere near expectations.
Took the words right oughta my mouth. We'll just have to see if the studios who put out "test" product before TV-on-DVD got hot are wise enough to revisit these shows now that interest is higher.

I paid $2.99 for my Moonlighting pilot, BTW. :wink:

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The commentary on the pilot DVD is very nice btw... for the 30 minutes it lasts.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Would be a nice series for DVD, especially with some commentary by the 2 stars.
Now that would be very funny. :) Of course someone would have to edit their commentaries together in order to make it appear as though they were in the same room. Or perhaps dual(ing) commentaries.:D
Did anyone listen to the commentary track on the pilot DVD?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Yes. The commentary on the pilot DVD is very good. Bruce Willis has a very good memory.
The problem is that it only runs for thirty minutes - and I think the entire thing is 90 minutes. You hear them the first half hour, and then one sentence at the very end. I'm very glad that they did do at least a little bit, but it would have been nice if a disclaimer could have been made at the beginning that it would last for just 30 mins. It was frustrating to have to wait for a full hour for them to say something again.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the expanded comment, Michael. I read the one-liner, but wanted a little more. Given your comments I may go ahead and pick this up for the 30 minutes. At least I'll know what to expect.

Jodee

Screenwriter
In recent interviews, Cybill Shepherd noted that she wasn't even asked to participate in the DVD release. Only Bruce Willis and the creator.

Kind of interesting since this series was developed for her and she had a lot of input in its early inception (even giving the green-light to the casting of Willis.)

She mentioned that her being excluded from the DVD was even more indication of the boys club mentality. I have to agree with her.

She would have had a lot to add to the commentary and it is unfortunate they did not seek her input.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
possibly that (old boys' club), and maybe the fact that Bruce, in his heyday, was quite a big star, whilst Cybill didn't reach the same heights. from a studio point of view, this would give a commentary by Bruce more "pulling power" than one by Cybill.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
The show has begun release in R2 land. 3 eps a DVD, but I have no idea about the quality of the release. Same company that's releasing A-Team, Knightrider and Air-Wolf DVDs (Universal TV or something I think).

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Theo,

you're 100% correct. Moonlighting is being released by Universal in the UK. It's only a Best of Disc though (Pilot, Lady in the Iron Mask, Womb with a View). The quality is pretty good, and leagues better than the crap quality we got offered in Germany.

While Universal already announced more episodes for the other shows for September, there's no word about Moonlighting. Probably didn't sell well enough. It's interesting to note that Moonlighting originally cost a lot more than the other Universal best of discs, so that might have something to do with it.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks