What's new

Moonlight - quick thoughts (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This artfully shot coming of age film featuring a black character, Chiron, at 3 points in his life, first as a child, second as a teenager, and lastly as a young man struggling to find his place in a world that otherwise expects specific life choices given his circumstances. Director Barry Jenkins imbues this film with lingering, poetic sweeps while furtively building the character's arc through the film running time. There is a nice use of color all throughout the film, bolstering the mood and tension. I think it starts out strong, but gets a little narratively weak by the 3rd act.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think it starts out strong, but gets a little narratively weak by the 3rd act.

I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't fully comment on this. But I just read an interview with the director and the co-writer a little while ago, and one of the things that struck me about that interview was how they essentially said that the film's first two acts were very true to their life experiences, while the third act was more of an invention and less of the literal truth that the first two acts were. I wonder if that shift in going from telling a story from their own experiences from the heart to an invented ending may have affected how it flowed. Guess I'll have to report back after I see it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Moonlight is an effortlessly engaging film, the kind that doesn't labor to capture your attention but commands it at all times. The performances are outstanding across he board, both completely natural and completely magnetic at the same time. The only Best Picture nominee that even comes close is Manchester By The Sea -- Moonlight is better that all of the other nominees combined. I will be rooting for it on Oscar night.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
It's a work of art as opposed to that lightweight concoction whose name betrays its own genesis.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought it was the weakest film of all the BP nominees. Two great performances in an incredibly overrated film in my opinion. Wouldn't make my top 10 of the year.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Best American film of the year. The third act is astounding in its emotional payoff. The last shot is achingly beautiful. A remarkable work of art.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't fully comment on this. But I just read an interview with the director and the co-writer a little while ago, and one of the things that struck me about that interview was how they essentially said that the film's first two acts were very true to their life experiences, while the third act was more of an invention and less of the literal truth that the first two acts were. I wonder if that shift in going from telling a story from their own experiences from the heart to an invented ending may have affected how it flowed. Guess I'll have to report back after I see it.

That's pretty much how I felt. I thought the first two acts were much better than the last act which I thought sorta ran out of gas. I didn't hate the film by any means. I just didn't care enough about Chiron to be emotionally invested in the outcome. I was pretty much bored by the end.

Wish Mahershala Ali was in it more. He was so magnetic in his small role. His Oscar will be well deserved.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
As a cinematic experience I liked Rogue One and Civil War more, but no other film had me on the edge of my seat emotionally like Moonlight. I only saw it because of the reviews but was not expecting to be so affected. I thought it was 50/50 that I would even enjoy it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I had a heated discussion with a friend of mine who is a successful screenwriter and he loved Moonlight and to him its screenplay was second only to Arrival. He pretty much thinks the script is perfect and just can't understand how I disagree.

I'm curious to see Moonlight again to see if my opinion holds up. I have been known to change my mind on second viewings. I hated Nebraska on my first viewing and loved it by my second.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Watched the Blu-ray this afternoon. The performances in the film are superlative. Easily, among the best performances of 2016. Just about every actor in the film deserves an Oscar for his or her work. It is an excellent film. I was thoroughly engrossed with the story and I cared about the characters.

However, for me it was not the best film of the year. Granted, few films of 2016 reached the emotional depth of 'Moonlight' but I also watch movies to be entertained. To be pulled into the world the film creates and not only care for the characters, but perhaps even want to be in the same world with those characters. 'Moonlight' was unable to pull me in that far.

The Booth Bijou gives 'Moonlight' 4.5 out of 5 stars. WELL worth your time for the incredible performances on display. I can understand why other actors would love it deeply for the performances alone.

Mark

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Whelp... now we can all say "Hey remember that one time Patrick gave a slightly above-average rating to a film that won Best Picture at the Oscars?"

Seriously your curve is starting into a full on U here.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I saw Moonlight last month and had the same reaction as some others in this thread: Very good, A-level, for the first 60% of the film or so, but it runs out of gas the last 40% or so.

Ali was excellent and earned his Oscar but the film flags after his character exits. Wouldn't have been my choice for Best Picture if I had a vote, which I doubt the Academy is going to give me, LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks