Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Moonlight Blu-ray Review

moonlighttop-1024x683.jpg

A coming of age story simplistically told and yet filled with complex emotions which are often observed but not conveyed with words, Barry Jenkins’ Moonlight offers a memorable exploration of a character in three distinct stages of his life.

[review]
Read more.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It won big at the Independent Spirit Awards tonight.

I have a feeling that "Moonlight" and "Manchester" will kinda cancel each other out at the Oscars. Both are similar in a lot of ways - low-key, downbeat character dramas with ambiguous endings - so I think they semi-negate each other.

Hope I'm wrong - would love to see "Moonlight" or "Manchester" win BP instead of "LLL"!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I imagine you're all going to think I'm crazy for saying this, but of the nine nominated films for Best Picture this year, I felt that La La Land and Moonlight were in many ways the most similar. The stories couldn't be more different, but walking out of both movies, I felt that the things I liked and disliked in both films were the same, and that my criticism and praise for both was nearly identical.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Both Moonlight and Manchester are far worthier films than La3 and, I believe, will better stand the test of time.

I honestly don't get the love for "LLL". I think it's a situation where people are so excited to see a 1950s-style musical that they're praising it way more than it deserves - just like with "The Artist" 5 years ago...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I honestly don't get the love for "LLL". I think it's a situation where people are so excited to see a 1950s-style musical that they're praising it way more than it deserves - just like with "The Artist" 5 years ago...

I don't know that I agree exactly (I don't think either was a bad picture, but neither would end up on my best lists), but I definitely saw a similarity between not just the movies, but the public and critical response to them.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't know that I agree exactly (I don't think either was a bad picture, but neither would end up on my best lists), but I definitely saw a similarity between not just the movies, but the public and critical response to them.

I don't think either "LLL" or "Artist" are bad films - I just think their acclaim is far out of proportion with their actual quality, and I think a lot of the acclaim comes from factors related to "novelty".

I admit I'm not a big fan of musicals, but I can enjoy them. "LLL" just left me cold - it tried so hard to be a "classic musical" but didn't match up with the greats it tried to emulate.

It just made me want to watch one of those classics instead. It was like listening to a recording of a Beatles tribute band - why do that when I can listen to the real thing?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I try to avoid, but not always successful, from using that type of line about films that didn't impress me as much as it did with others. It's like saying, what is wrong with those people, can't they see it's not that good. Anyhow, I'm just talking about my perspective with such comments.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I try to avoid, but not always successful, from using that type of line about films that didn't impress me as much as it did with others. It's like saying, what is wrong with those people, can't they see it's not that good. Anyhow, I'm just talking about my perspective with such comments.

I'm not saying there's anything "wrong" with people in that circumstance. It's an observation/belief but it doesn't connote failure in the people who like the movie.

Expectations are a huge influence in our enjoyment/appreciation of movies. If you love classic musicals, you're naturally going to be predisposed to love a modern-day version of one - even if "objectively" the product isn't that great.

I'm not immune from that so I don't say it to condemn others...

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
The Oscars are so subjective, in hindsight certain Best Picture winners really puzzle me. "Oliver", "The Greatest Show on Earth", "Dances With Wolves", "Chicago", Crash", "Slumdog Millionaire", "The Artist" .... All good films but when you look at the competition that year all are very questionable picks. I personally would love a tie between LLL and Moonlight this year

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the excellent review, Matt.

I look forward to the commentary track.

The only place we disagree is that I would give this film that rare 5 out of 5 stars for the film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The Oscars are so subjective, in hindsight certain Best Picture winners really puzzle me. "Oliver", "The Greatest Show on Earth", "Dances With Wolves", "Chicago", Crash", "Slumdog Millionaire", "The Artist" .... All good films but when you look at the competition that year all are very questionable picks. I personally would love a tie between LLL and Moonlight this year

Of all these films I somewhat agree with some but absolutely disagree with the notion that Dances With Wolves is somehow undeserving. It was the best film that year. Yes better than Goodfellas. It deserved every Oscar it got imo.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Of all these films I somewhat agree with some but absolutely disagree with the notion that Dances With Wolves is somehow undeserving. It was the best film that year. Yes better than Goodfellas. It deserved every Oscar it got imo.

It's def a great film but I think most "Top 100" and critic's lists have always included Goodfellas but I haven't seen that many include Dances With Wolves. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks