Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin submitted a new blog post

Moon 10th Anniversary UHD Review
Moon_feat-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought this on iTunes the other day for $4.99, it's only in HD and with bonus material. Perhaps, it will upgrade to 4K like other Sony titles. This was a blind buy for me. It's still that price too.

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I had originally cranked out a rather lengthy diatribe as to how can a 2K upscale get a 5/5 video rating, but I shit-canned it. Getting too old I guess to fight these battles anymore. I'm sure the disc looks great, just pretty damn sure it's not what it could (should) have been. Just don't want to see the bar set too low.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Okay, I had originally cranked out a rather lengthy diatribe as to how can a 2K upscale get a 5/5 video rating, but I shit-canned it. Getting too old I guess to fight these battles anymore. I'm sure the disc looks great, just pretty damn sure it's not what it could (should) have been. Just don't want to see the bar set too low.
Well, first of all, it's not like they are upscaling a 1080p Blu-ray, they are upscaling an uncompressed 2K studio master, which has a heck of a lot more detail than a Blu-ray. That said, I was actually considering doing what Crawdaddy just did and buy the iTunes version which should upgrade to 4K shortly, but then your post talked me out of it. The Blu-ray disc I already own is sufficient. I should limit my 4K upgrade purchases to movies that either were finished in 4K or else shot and completed on fillum.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The biggest mistake the powers that be made in introducing the new format was calling it “4K” instead of just “UHD”. 4K has a specific meaning while UHD can mean whatever they want it to mean.

Since 4K has actual meaning as a term, people understandably express concern when they’re presented with something that’s not actually 4K worth of resolution. And it’s even worse because 4K TVs actually have slightly less resolution than 4K, in the same way that HD is almost 2K but a few pixels shy.

It also turns out that for most people, what drives their perception of “better” isn’t resolution but enhanced colors and contrast, which is what UHD offers the potential for, regardless of the resolution.

But because they insisted on calling the format “4K,” the discussion gets framed wrong from the start.

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Alright, the 2K upscale description pushed my buttons. Checked some other reviews and while they were generally favorable, none gave the disc a perfect video score. So even though I have the Blu-ray Disc and have been upgrading almost everything in my collection to 4K when I can, I will wait for it to drop below $15. Other than the video score, I thought Todd's review was very good. I realize that these scores are opinions based on personal observations. I'm just trying to make a judgment on whether or not to upgrade my Blu-ray of this movie. That's one of the reasons why I read these reviews. Keep cranking them out Todd and I'll keep reading them. May not always agree, but who cares.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I bought this on iTunes the other day for $4.99, it's only in HD and with bonus material. Perhaps, it will upgrade to 4K like other Sony titles. This was a blind buy for me. It's still that price too.
I finally got around to redeeming my code today, and this is what I found:

Vudu: HDX, DD+ 5.1
FandangoNow: UHD, HDR10, DD+ 5.1
GooglePlay Movies: UHD, HDR10, DD+ 5.1
iTunes: UHD, DV, 5.1
Prime Video: UHD, HDR10, 5.1

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I finally got around to redeeming my code today, and this is what I found:

Vudu: HDX, DD+ 5.1
FandangoNow: UHD, HDR10, DD+ 5.1
GooglePlay Movies: UHD, HDR10, DD+ 5.1
iTunes: UHD, DV, 5.1
Prime Video: UHD, HDR10, 5.1
Yeah, my iTunes digital updated to 4K/Dolby Vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks