What's new

Mooch is OUTTA HERE and perhaps the next Lions Head Coach!! (1 Viewer)

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Rob Parker of the Detroit News said it was a certainty that Mariucci is in w/ a 4 year deal. It isn't a coincidence that Mariucci was fired and a week later Marty was fired even though Millen previously stated that Marty was going to be the coach.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Wouldn't it be just like the Lions to fire Mornhinweg, and then have Mariucci turn them down?
That is exactly what we were discussing at work while listening to the press conference. I do not have confidence in Millen, he is the major reason IMO that the Lions have gone 5-27 the last few seasons. You can't win if you don't have talented players. That job is his responsibility.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If I were a minority person and I were flown in - because of league mandate - for this sham of an interview, I would view it as a waste of my time and a colossal insult.
Dennis Green has already declined a request to interview for this job for the above reason. The latest rumor is that the Lions will interview Ty Willingham of Notre Dame. I expect Mariucci to be named head coach by the weekend.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
As people have already posted these minority-hiring guidelines are a joke and it would be insulting to be flown in just to be the token interview.

I know that the NFL should have a better ratio of African American coaches especially but this is a public relations type fix.

As for Mooch, if he wants the job I hope he gets best I think he is a better then average coach who got a raw deal from the Niners.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
ESPN is reporting that Mariucci has agreed to a five year, $25 million contract, which is equal to the deal that Spurrier received to coach Washington. He will have input into personnel decisions, which he did not have in San Fran. It looks like Mooch landed on his feet pretty well. Now, hopefully he will not succumb to the Lions curse -- no ex-Lion head coach has ever been hired again as an NFL head coach. They usually just fade into oblivion.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasqu...n/1503579.html

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Now no one can complain that the Lion's ownership is too cheap to go out and get a reputable coach. Unfortunately Millen is still in the picture so the likelihood of success is not very high. :rolleyes

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Does Mooch get to keep the money from the final year of his 49er deal? Even if he doesn't, I'd say he's made out like a bandit.

As for the 49ers, does Greg Blache even have a chance of getting the head coaching gig? He supposedly is one of the finalists, despite my belief he was just a token minority interview. If they do hire that bozo, it will be the death of the 49ers and the rebirth of the beloved Bears!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Unfortunately Millen is still in the picture so the likelihood of success is not very high.
Dennis, how can you say that? Just look at Millen's great credentials at building winning teams. Oh, wait, he doesn't have any. Well, I'm sure that the winning tradition that the Ford family built within the organization will filter down. No, wait, that doesn't exist either.
Well, I'm sure everything will work out fine anyway. :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks