Stunt Coordinator
Let me start off by saying I haven't really
investigated MOO3 thoroughly, and in fact this
post is just based off of some screenshots I've
seen of the interface.
I rate the original Masters of Orion as one of
my Top 5 favorite games of all time regardless of
system. That being said I was very disappointed with
MOO2. Which I realize is an opinion in the minority.
The biggest turn off I feel was the interface, it just
wasn't intuitive to me. I'm sure there was an excellent
game underneath it, but I didn't feel like finding it.
I couldn't put my finger on it until I saw screenshots
recently of MOO3 that made me realize what I missed in
MOO2.
Sliders!
Check out this preview.
http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/moo3_preview/
Its a good preview but it is full of nice shots of the interface. Many of the interfaces use sliders to adjust
variables. I loved the sliders from the first one and never could grasp the drag and drop style of MOO2. So the new MOO seems more old school to me. I can't wait!
Aaron
p.s. my memory isn't as great as it used to be so if I misrepresented the previous versions I apologize. However
thats how I remember them.:D

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I liked both Moo1 and Moo2 (I have played a lot more of MOO2 though). I have been keeping an eye out on the discussion boards and official web page for release date updates (they keep pushing it back). The sliders were ok on Moo1, but Moo2 felt natural to me (lots of Master of Magic and Civilization experience, very similiar). I sympethize on the interface though. I found Civ3's interface very weird feeling myself, and never really got into the game for that reason.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I would have to agree. MOO was freaking awesome. One of the most addictive games I've ever played. MOO2 however was just weak. They tried to do too much when all they really needed to do was make MOO with better graphics and multiplayer.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I loved MOO2. I think that was mainly because I never got the chance to play the first version.

I've been anxiously awaiting MOO3 for quite some time. Here's hoping it gets to us this month.

Glen

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I think this is vaporware. But the original was great Moo2 was alright I thought it was to easy. If Moo3 ever comes out I will give it a shot but I don't have high expectations at this point.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
It's close. I have been reading the messageboards, and the last update was on 1/3 by the producer. They were still doing regression testing on a multiplayer bug. The single player game is apparently done and bug free. They are dedicated to releasing the game as bug-free as possible. A nice change for those of us on 56k that become annoyed by multiple patches "cough, Heroes 4, cough"

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Brian, that was sarcasm right? 'cause I just posted about it going gold and all... I'm so confused... ;)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Note the smiley. Sorry, yes, was a little bit of healthy humour at someone complaining about a game being vapourware just a little over a week before it goes gold.

AaronArmstrong

Stunt Coordinator
How is it that even though MOO3 has gone gold it will not be available before Feb. 25th? Sometimes games go gold and they are on the shelves in a week. We are post holidays so i doesn't seem as there would be a backlog of production to cause such a time gap. Does anyone know how this system works?

Aaron Armstrong

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
Gone gold.... release date of Feb. 25....

This game has been delayed so many times over the years (?), that even this announcement doesn't make me believe that Feb 25 is the final release date. I will only believe this game is being released when it's finally installed on my computer. A full month from "Gone Gold" to official release date gives a lot of room for more delays to ensure "a quality product".

On a side note, this is MY most anticipated game EVER. I'm just tired of getting my hopes up.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
I for one played countless hours of MOO2 long ago... but I'm not anxious enough about this release to shell out the money for it... I have a policy where I WILL NOT buy a game until it has dropped in price by 50% from the original/preorder amount... this use to serve a purpose-- I can't afford to keep upgrading my computer for the next big thing, so just remain a steady 6-8 months behind the times as far as games... well, the last game I bought for PC was Civilization 3 and I broke my policy... I regreted it... becaue I played it intensively for about 2 months and then set it aside until last week. If I had only waited to buy it... argh.
Ive got so much media and gaming "on hold" in anticipation for my projector arrival that I should be held over til 2004... then I'll get Moo3 :D

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
It's been hard to be a MOO fan recently. Quicksilver seems on track to be possibly screwing us over. They've played vaporware with the product for months and months (common joke at IG forums; QS, redefining what "very soon now" means on a daily basis), are waving fat NDA sticks at anyone who could tell us how the game plays, and they won't release a demo.

Basically, I'm saying I'm gonna buy from EB so I can return it if my fears are true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks