Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life SE?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert_eb, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Is there any news about this film being re-released?

2. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Do you mean re-released on DVD? I don't know, but I sure hope so, very much looking forward to it, thought it was supposed to be in 2003. Maybe try the pythonline site for better info. I hope they can get a good print to work with, like for the Holy Grail, and very unlike Life of Brian (IMO even the Criterion is marginal, but the best they could find).

3. wally

wally Second Unit

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I agree, an SE in the mode of the Holy Grail SE would be WONDERFUL for both these movies. IMHO, the commentary for Life of Brian was NOT worth the price of admission, and the video on the disc was atrocious.

Oddly, Meaning of Life was my first contact with Python, and I fell in love... I have the TV show box set, and all the DVDs, but I think they ALL could be much better.

5. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

The Criterion Life of Brian is the absolute best I've ever seen this film look, and I've seen many prints and copies of it since 1979. I thought the commentaries were great! I'm not sure what better treatment Brian could be given.

I would love to see the Meaning of Life get a good SE treatment. Now that it's 20 years old, I would think some kind of re-do is in order!

6. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Well, the Life of Brian is not taken from a "dirty old print" - it's an interpositive, which is made directly from the negative. I shouldn't be surprised that a film so popular and re-released has suffered a bit of wear on the original elements, but it looks fine for the most part, and the transfer has the thumbs-up from Terry Jones, so it's quite alright with me.

7. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    The only reason I speak bad of the commentaries is their content... I found them ENTIRELY dull and uninteresting. It was obvious that the recorders were not in the same room, because there was no chemistry... information was dry and I just didn't care what they had to say, which is sad, considering how much I love the troop and film.

8. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Yes, I understand all the good things that are said about the Criterion DVD release of Life of Brian, and I generally agree with them, but note that they are all *relative* to other LOB releases. In absolute terms, the video and audio sucked. Some parts of the movie did look great, but it was very patchy and definitely showed some film wear. The audio had portions of significant distortion. I don't know about for you, but this was a rather expensive DVD for me to buy, whereas the Holy Grail SE was great looking, and the sound was quite fine...and it's an older movie and was half the price.

9. wally

wally Second Unit

10. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

11. Jon Smith

Jon Smith Stunt Coordinator

the rights for LOB in the UK has expired with Paramount.
    i think Anchor Bay have picked up the rights ?
    and the Python team are working on a new release for a UK R2 DVD.
    they say it should be better than the CC DVD.
    this is just what i read, i didnt read it from an official website though [​IMG]

12. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

The UK version of Meaning of Life is, unofficially a Special Edition, but before you all start clicking to your favourite disc importer, the bonus item is actually an episode of The Twilight Zone, due to a bizarre authoring screwup!
    (For the record, it's not accessible from the menus, but a poke around with the disc in the DVD-Rom drive should uncover it!)

13. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

Why is this labeled as a director's cut? I didn't see anything that I didn't see in the first DVD or the VHS.

14. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    The director's cut is a branching option with three deleted scenes that are also on the second disc. It's not done very smoothly, though it might be my player (haven't returned my copy). And the footage also looked like it hadn't been cleaned up either.

The Martin Luther segment is funny, but the others I could've done without.

15. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

Does the director's cut feature not work with the commentary? I watched with the commentary, which could be why I did not see any new scenes.

16. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    I'm guessing that Terry Jones recorded the commentary while watching the theatrical cut, because it cuts him out during the extra scenes.

17. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

There is commentary available for the extra scenes when viewed from the second disc (not when incorporated into the film on the first disc).

18. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    That's right, I'd forgotten about that. I remember watching the Martin Luther scene on disc 2 for the first time and wondering why I could only watch it with commentary... very odd.

19. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    Can someone please post or direct me to the information on how to tell if I have a corrected disc or not and how to get the corrected disc iif necessary. I seem to remember reading something about the disc artwork being less grainy or more grainy on the corrected version. Any help is greatly appreciated.

20. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    What I'm still trying to figure out is why, on the ancient VHS version and the version that aired on cable, do the intertitle cards "A Short Film" and "Our Feature Presentation" contain voice-over narration, while in the Special Edition DVD (and the older DVD as well, I'm told) the narration is now missing?

Narration for first intertitle:

"There will be a short film of approximately ten minutes before our Feature Presentation."

Narration for second intertitle:

"And now, our Feature Presentation."

What happened? Nobody besides yours truly seems to care, as I've brought this up before on other forums, only to meet with overwhelming apathy.