Monty Python & the Holy Grail - Audio Remix

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Coressel, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

2. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

A couple of things that bother me.
    quote: “Terry Jones called and asked me if I had seen the film the previous evening. He thought it sounded terrific and wondered why we were doing any work to it at all. I hadn’t seen it but argued with Terry that we needed to turn a mono track into a multi-channel one if we wanted to release it on DVD and in the cinema.”[/quote]
    I think it's sad that the industry believes that a multichannel presentation is the only way that people will watch movies nowadays. How insulting!
    quote: As it turned out, Andre’s work on the soundtrack was very complicated. Not only was some of the track already mixed and without separated elements, but Michael Palin’s narration was very poor quality and needed re-recording.[/quote]
    All I can say is, they'd better include the original soundtrack on there. Call me a purist if you must. This is THE HOLY GRAIL, after all.

3. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

4. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Having just recently seen this remastered edition on the big screen, I would like to put most of your fears to rest.
    The remixed audio on this film is absolutely in character and not gimmicky. While you might expect, based on the article, that a lot of sounds were changed, you shouldn't notice that big of a difference, if any.
    The only thing that stuck out to me in the theater was that Michael Palin's narration sounded so incredibly clear. I just thought they had some great sound elements to work with. Kind of funny to find out that he actually re-recorded it! I wouldn't have expected that to happen!
    Based on the reactions to Superman and Holy Grail, I wonder how bad it will get when word gets around that they created new Foley for The Godfather...
    = Derek =
    [Edited last by Derek Miner on September 18, 2001 at 01:51 PM]

5. Matt_Stevens

6. Coressel

I just saw the remaster Holy Grail a couple of week's ago, and knowing ahead of time that Palin had re-read his narration, I listened very critically.
    The narration used to be read in a "serious" fashion, like this is an epic film in which things go wrong.
    His new reading sounds like he is trying to be funny, so it's not as funny.
    Instead of "IN THE FROZEN LAND OF NADOR, THEY WERE FORCED TO EAT ROBIN'S MINSTRELS..."
    We get "In the frozen LAND of NADOR, they were FORCED to EAT ROBin's MINstrels..."
    When it comes down to it, it's all apples and oranges... or Hans and Greedos...
    [​IMG]

7. Scott Rogers

Scott Rogers Stunt Coordinator

The narration used to be read in a "serious" fashion, like this is an epic film in which things go wrong. His new reading sounds like he is trying to be funny, so it's not as funny.
    Wait?
    Does this mean I'll have to buy the "feature-less" version of the movie to get the theatrical release voice-over???
    This stinks! I want the version with all the features AND the original film!!
    I am so tired of directors mucking about with their films! Release the damned thing and move on!
    This is all George Lucas' fault... grumble, mutter...

8. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

9. Matt_Stevens

I read that some time ago. Don't remember where. I think we need clarification on this, because I'd rather have the original mono if the narration has been redone. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

10. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

How ridiculous distributors insist that the film be re-released in 5.1! Being a re-issue it will be shoved into the ancillary shoeboxs at the local googleplex where you're lucky to get stereo.
    Now if only they would re-record the soundtrack to LOA. That NEEDED it. Badly.
    Jason Ashley
    Warwick, NY

11. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

12. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

quote: Am I the only one that disagrees?[/quote]
    I hope so, but unlikely. [​IMG]
    Just out of curiosity, Tim: how do you feel about colorization?
    ------------------
    "Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock
    [Edited last by Steve Enemark on September 18, 2001 at 11:22 PM]

13. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

If you mean turning a B&W movie into color, no I don't like that [​IMG] The audio thing though.. I just like having an "immersed" feeling when I watch movies.. I love to have the sound fill the room.. I paid tons of cash for my "stereo" system, so I want to use it to it's full potental as much as possible. I just like being "surrounded" by the sound.. isn't that what Surround Sound is all about? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Tim Kline
    HT Newbie Extraordinaire!
    [email protected]
    www.timkline.com
    My DVD List
    My Home Theatre

14. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp

15. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

I think for the most part, remixes are fine. But they should always include the original mix. I think excluding it is like removing a part of the film's history.
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the original sound engineers are responsible for this remix? If not, I think it's a shame that their work could possibly be lost.
    ------------------
    -Dwayne
    [Edited last by Dwayne on September 19, 2001 at 01:31 AM]

16. Tuomas Maattanen

Tuomas Maattanen Auditioning

Kyle,
    Columbia press release does mention

17. Coressel

"does anyone know if the original sound engineers are responsible for this remix?"
    I don't think so. According to the link I provided in my first post, the only sound person responsible is this Andre Jacquemin guy. Granted he did a great job, but I also have a hard time with the "we have to re-do all of the sound for the DVD" attitude.
    Some films were not made with the single purpose of justifying our equipment purchases.
    [Edited last by Coressel on September 19, 2001 at 05:42 AM]

18. Coressel

The more I think about it, I also have a problem with this:
    "...Michael Palin’s narration sounded very ‘boxy’ because it was probably recorded on location."
    So what if it sounded "boxy?" They could easily have run the old sound through some kind of digital remastering and made it sound a little better. Having Palin re-record his lines seems to be another "it has to sound like it was recorded 10 minutes ago" attitude. Strange.

19. Matt_Stevens

Well, the press release says the mono track is included, so we can all relax. Once the DVD is released, we should all email Columbia and thank them for including the mono track.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

20. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter