What's new

Monty Python & The Holy Grail 5.1 Vs. Mono (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I just watched this wonderful film in the new dolby digital 5.1 mix and it's quite a different experience watching this film with it. I must have seen this film a least 30 times and I have the Mono mix memorized. The new 5.1 mix, while more dynamic, changes the film for me. The background music is different in many scenes and when the narrator introduces each character into their solo quest for the grail, the new 5.1 mix has Michael Palin as the narrator. When listening to it in the original Mono mix the original narrator and music is present. While I don't mind the new 5.1 mix I'm very happy they kept the original mono mix. While I do like 5.1 mixes done to older films, I prefer the original Mono mix in this film. As far as the picture goes it's the best I've ever seen this film look. Could you imagine the world without Monty Python? What a scary thought that is.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Robert, a lot of the effects were redone, but it should fit in quite nicely with the original track's sound.
-Tom

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I'm anxious to get this DVD and watch it twice, once for each soundtrack. I've seen it so many times, I just can't imagine what it will sound like it DD5.1. The mono mix almost seems "appropriate" (if I may use that word) to the film for me, but that could change when I hear the remix.
DD5.1 could have it's advantages, though. I'm thinking of the scene when the Kaaa-nigits are singing the Camelot song...that might sound cool in 5.1!
------------------
Scott

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I liked the 5.1 track simply because it added significant clarity to the mix. Music and speech were simply much better defined; they sounded muddy and flat on the mono track. Overall, I thought it was a terrific example of the right way to remix monaural elements - not too showy but clean and clear...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I must say, Im very happy with the 5.1 mix on this disc. I still prefer the mono, only because its the original, but the 5.1 really doesnt have anything going against it. It doesnt suffer from Superman syndrome where the dialogue and effects clearly sound 20 years apart.
The narration doesnt bother me that its been recorded, although it is noticable on the first listen, and most of the SFX that were re-recorded seemed to go off without a hitch. I didnt really notice anything that particularly bother me about the new mix. I also liked how the song sequences were used.
As a whole, a job well done, and the fact that the original mono is still there makes it even more appealing.

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Last night I watched it with the remix, because well, I've heard the mono mix before.. I really enjoyed myself since as Colin said, I didn't have to strain to hear any dialogue. I also liked how they kept most of the dialogue and sound effects anchored in the center channel.
I wasn't bothered at all actually by the remix and I think I'll be viewing the disc with the 5.1 track from now on.
------------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
I would approve of the remix if they had a version with Palin's original narration. I had not heard it was re-recorded and when I popped it in my player the other night, I instantly knew something was up.
icon13.gif

I found it to be terribly distracting, since I know this one by heart (my wife can sing the songs perfectly. And I do mean, perfectly. It's very entertaining when we have guests over).
biggrin.gif

------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Wasn't this suppost to get a theatrical rerelease? I don't remember that ever happening. I just remember looking foward to it and then reading the announcement the new DVD.
Can't wait to get this.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks