Monty Python short film mystery (travelogue before Life of Brian)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by StevenA, Mar 27, 2004.

1. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

With the excitement generated by the recent announcement of Life of Brian's impending re-release, I started thinking about a short film which was screened before the main feature on its original theatrical run. I saw Life of Brian in Australia originally, so I'm not sure if this short preceded the film in other territories also.

Anyway, the short started out as a seemingly serious, and rather tedious, travelogue about Venice, very similar to many other shorts which used to screen before an intermission and the main feature in Australia, until that format was abandoned in the early 80s.

Several minutes into the film, the narrator (John Cleese) became irritated, and commented "More f***ing gondalas."

It was a memorable and hilarious intro to Life of Brian.

I have tried several Google searches, and have only come up with a couple of vague references to the film. I would love to locate it, or at least find out who made it, why, and whether it was an "official" Python production or not. I was hoping it would have turned up on the Criterion, but no luck there.

Any clues?

2. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit