1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Monty Python & Criterion Supplements

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Movies, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone on this board have both the Criterion LD and the new Holy Grail DVD? Are all the extras from the LD ported over to the DVD? Are the same production photos on the new DVD?
    How did this happen? What finally made criterion license their extras? Does anyone know if we'll be seeing more of this in the future?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I think "desperation" is the wrong word entirely, Jeff.
    Criterion can easily survive on Janus Films catalogue, not to mention their connections with Anchor Bay, Universal and other film companies/libraries.
    While I wouldn't pigeon-hole them as a "niche" company, they've never really headed for Walmart, have they?
    However, if they are looking for some slightly more mainstream titles, then if scratching Columbia's back over the Holy Grail (and possibly the Boys N The Hood SE that was released postponed) helps them revisit their old laserdisc editions (Baron Munchausen and The Fisher King, anyone?), then this is an arrangement that can only benefit everyone.
    ------------------
    Please help get both versions of Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures onto the upcoming DVD!

4. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

The worse thing that can happen is for all the good supplements that Criterion has authored to wither and die becasue of licensing issues. I am glad that a deal was cut with Columbia to keep the commentary for "Holy Grail" alive. I hope that Criterion can come to some agreement with other studios who are no longer licensing material. It would be a win - win situation. Criterion gets a return on its initial investment when it created the supplements for LD; the studios can put out SEs without having to spend the money or the time; and we viewers will have access to these supplements without having to spend a fortune on E-bay. I, for one, am saddened that I may never hear the commentary track for Criterion's version of "Spinal Tap".

5. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

IF the commentary track is the same (IF), there is always the possibility that the Pythons held the rights to that supplement (or all of them) and not Criterion.
    The Paul Thomas Anderson commentary on the Boogie Nights Criterion LD was ported over to the New Line DVD precisely because PTA himself held the rights to it.
    Just a possibility.
    There's no reason Criterion should be desperate; in fact their market is growing, not shrinking. Their percentage of the market place may be lower, as our friend Joe now takes up much of the DVD market, but the real numbers are growing. It's bigger than the market for LD ever was.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/007822.html
    Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12...2, 1 Complete!

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Criterion said it themselves in their HTF chat..

7. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

For what it's worth, I agree. It never made sense to me for Criterion to sit on their assets rather than use them productively. If anything, it probably made the majors LESS likely to license them titles, because it meant that any commentaries & other features Criterion did would remain there in perpetuity.

8. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

"Are all the extras from the LD ported over to the DVD?"
    No, there's a ton of stuff on the new DVD that was not on the Criterion LD, such as the BBC behind-the-scenes film and the "Locations" documentary.
    Also, only the Gilliam/Jones commentary is the same. The Cleese/Idle/Palin talk is new.