Monthy fee for DirectTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Kline, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

Wasn't sure what forum to put this in [​IMG]
    Anyway, I'm paing $170 a month for my cable service. Included is my cable modem (which is like $40 a month), and my phone service (I'd say $30 a month), which leaves around $100 for Digital Cable on 2 TVs, with every pay movie station available. Basically, it's getting too expensive. Not that I can't afford it but I really feel that what I get really isn't worth the price I'm paying. (I'm especially POed about them saying how it's digital and all, but it's got all analog connections and when I called about it once the people didn't know what the heck I was talking about)
    So, I know that there's satelite receivers that can do component video and optical audio connections and all that stuff, and that's really the type of stuff I want connected to my home theater (and maybe a basic box for the other TV would be fine)
    If I were to switch to a satelite, after it's all installed, about how much does DirectTV with all of the channels cost per month, for 2 TVs? Would I really be saving or should I just stick with wannabe-digital cable? I don't want to just save like $10, for that I'd just stick with what I have till I move someday

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

3. Tim Kline

oh.. well what about local channels, will they come in? Like I heard you can't get UPN and stuff, did they fix that?

4. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I'd look at Dish Network if I were you. Better quality of product (IMHO) and better customer service, and (sometimes) better price.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

6. Tim Kline

ok cool. One other thing I thought of. Is it true that in really bad storms you can't watch anything?

7. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

In bad weather (more than a light rain), you will sometimes get blackouts for a few minutes. Unless we are talking really powerful weather, the signal generally comes back pretty quickly.

I pay $5 to get all my local stations on DirecTV.

8. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

For new customers, local channels are included in all DirecTV programming packages. All they did was raise the price of each package by $5, but it's importatnt to note that it's not going to be $5 MORE for you to get locals as a new customer. You will get ALL locals, including UPN, WB, PBS, and independent stations.

You may end up paying about the same as you do now, but my guess is you'll be much more pleased with what you're paying for if you switch to either DTV or DISH. Better sound, better picture, and (probably) more channels.