Monthly Satellite service via DirecTV or DishNetork?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Is it possible to subscribe to either Dish or Directv montht to month, like if you had a vacation home and you were only going to be there a few months of the year, could you say subscribe by either monthly or perhaps quarterly?

Jay

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I believe both use a "smartcard" system. This means you can buy 2 receivers, but only activate 1 card. Take the card with you when you go to the vacation home and plug it in.

There are lots of people selling used receivers on eBay for cheap.

Note: Dish only charges $5 / month for each additional receiver so it's not a horrible thing to activate 2 of them.

3. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

I was told by a cable provider that their digital cable boxes have an uplink to their company. That way they can tell when it has left the house and diconnect the receiver. I don't know how true it is but I can totally see them doing something like that.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hmmm, i'd be able to do that? I guess I could get the dish and switch installed on the new house and then when my parents go down to the second home, they can take the Dish 301 with the smartcard and go down there and simply plug it in? Hmm, never thought of that, interesting.

Would I be able to buy a second 301 and dish/switch, and simply take the smartcard down, I thought the card was programmed to only work with the unit it was initialized

to...

Jay

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Jay, you are correct. Cards are "married" to the receiver during the initial setup with the DBS provider. This keeps me (who has all of the movie channels) from loaning my card to my buddy who is a cheapskate and only pays for the cheapest programming package.

-Robert

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks Robert_j, I thought so..

How about local channels, we get our local channels from NYC, but down there, the local channels is mostly from Maryland or for NBC, Philadelphia, how does this work, will I be able to get NYC stations down there because my contract and serial# on the smartcard is assuming that the receiver is in the NYC area??

Jay

7. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

robert_j, thats half the story. cards are married to the rec but once you unplug your buddies rec for a few min. and pop your hu card in, he will have no probs. make sure phone line is not plugged into the back of the box. after you guys finish watching on your hu card, unplug his rec. again for a few minutes and plug back in. now put his old card back in and hes good to go. theres a chip inside that box that stores info. as long as you clear the box (unplug/reset) you will have no probs. direct tv is the way to go. [​IMG]

8. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    DirecTV has always charged me month to month and they activate services instantly. You could call to verify, but I can't imagine why you couldn't have a received in your second house and just activate it monthly while you're there.