What's new

Montgomery Clift films on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for adding additional comments. I do have, what appears to be, the same DVD.

Could it be that we are not being clear on our terminology? By anamorphic enhancement, I am intending to mean "enhanced for widescreen TVs" so that the picture would look squeezed if not on a widescreen TV.

This DVD is both letter-boxed and inside a 1.33:1 frame, which only thus far has happened on my 16 x 9 TV when I play a widescreen, but not-enhanced-for-widescreen-TVs DVD, like the original theatrical version of Star Wars on DVD.

I tried both my Blu-ray players and got the same result.

The other two options, which seem unlikely, are that both my blu-ray players are not reading that this as an enhanced for widescreen DVD or that Maru released it once anamorphically-enhanced widescreen, and once not.

Hmm. Still a more than decent disc and far better than a VHS would be, which is about what I expect for films that the studio itself seems to have abandoned.

mikeyhitchfan said:
I'm looking at mine right now, and it is anamorphic widescreen 16X9. It's the Maru DVD, so unless they reissued it and changed the specs I have no explanation for that. The only review for this one is mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-Secret-Passion-All-Regions/dp/B00HQSHYF8/ref=sr_1_14?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1411922285&sr=1-14&keywords=freud&tag=viglink20391-20

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Mine is almost filling the screen in 16X9 mode (1.85:1). When I switch to 1.33:1 mode it is squeezed tall, so it is anamorphic. I don't have any explanation, but glad to have it uncut. It is also interlaced, which is noticeable during several cuts or fast movements. I wish Universal would release this in the U.S. even in the archive dept.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks