What's new

Monterey Pop from Criterion - anyone else excited about it? (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The new Criterion catalogue lists Monterey Pop as a 2002 release. Oh man, am I looking forward to this! How about you guys?
------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I am, like, totally psyched!
I'm hoping Criterion's version is gonna be a super-duper, special edition with outtakes, commentary, audio tracks, etc.
For you Pennebaker fans, Docurama released a great DVD edition of Pennebaker's Don't Look Back (his first marriage of cinema verite with 60s pop culture). My review of that great film and disc is here:
http://207.136.67.23/film/Reviews/Don't%20Look%20Back-final.htm

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Very excited about this release. I was 18 when this event took place. I always wished I would have gone. Now I will be able to experience it like never before.
There are some great performances at this concert. Otis Redding, the Who smashing their equipment on stage, and not to be outdone, Jimi Hendrix burning his guitar using cigarette lighter fluid.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Cool!
What else is listed in the new catologue?
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
If my memory serves me correctly...
George Washington - David Gordon Green
Hearts and Minds - Peter Davis
Howard's End - James Ivory
The Importance of Being Earnest - Anthony Asquith
Ivan's Childhood - Andrei Tarkovsky
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Powell and Pressburger
Loves of a Blonde - Milos Foreman
The Fireman's Ball - Milos Foreman
Monterey Pop - DA Pennebaker
La Strada - Fedrico Fellini

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
By the way, for those who are interested, though there is no definitive release date yet, Jon Mulvany told me by email that Children of Paradise should (finally) be released in early (perhaps January) 2002.
[Edited last by Rain on October 22, 2001 at 02:22 PM]

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I will totally buy this. I hope there will be some nifty extras (like more Hugh Masekela or some Byrds).
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Anthony Clarke

Auditioning
'Monterey Pop' is just about my favourite of all rock movies -- a classic! Very exciting news.
But I still wait for Virgin, I guess, to release the Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music Greatest Hits collection, which was pretty good on video and which will make an outstanding DVD!
Criterion, I notice, is releasing Anthony Asquith's 'The Importance of Being Earnest'.
There's been two Region Two releases of this, both from Carlton. The first had atrocious sound and image. The second release fixed up the image -- it just glows! But the sound is muffled; so muted it's hard to make out the irrestistibly brilliant dialogue. Let's hope Criterion makes a better job of that aspect!
And here'a a release I hope Criterion one day considers -- Luis Bunuel's first, and still greatest, film, the surrealistic masterpiece 'Un Chien Andalou'. It's a silent film, but it was 'sonorised in the 1950s or early 1960s by Bunuel himself who added the totally appropriate accompanying music -- a melange of Wagner (the Liebestod from 'Tristan und Isolde' and Argentinian tangos) to match the amazing imagery.
Cheers from Sydney, Australia

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
I can dig it man!
Monterey pop changed the music industry from Top 40 AM radio to album oriented underground FM stations.
Those were the days listening to Elliot Mintz from Pasadena underground FM playing all that new music from the San Francisco area.
I could trip to some Quicksilver right about now.
I just had a flashback.
Far out!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Jason, I found the new catalogue in Notorious and The Lady Eve so I would imagine it's included in all the new releases. It's less detailed than previous catalogues - just a listing of all the films in the collection. There is however, a list of upcoming 2002 releases which they stuck in there to tease us! Ummm, La Strada! Can't wait for that one either!
------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks