What's new

Monte Carlo comparison - NASCAR to Production run SS unit (1 Viewer)

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Eh, that's what you get with those gear ratios. I wonder if there's some kind of homologation rule that says you can only use as many gears as there are in the stock transmission, or something. They have to really let it wind out since they're just driving in a circle at top speed most of the time.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
The Nascar Monte Carlo probably has traction problems to. It makes me proud to say when watching a race "My car will beat one of those to 60mph". Then when someones says yeah right. I'll just show them this thread. I wish they would have used real performance cars for Nascar like Camaro and Mustangs. Then Dodge would have to come up with a mid level rear wheel drive sports car. I love the Viper but then it wouldn't be right.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I wonder if there's some kind of homologation rule that says you can only use as many gears as there are in the stock transmission, or something.
No, NASCAR limits the transmission to a 4-speed manual by rule. As the comparison makes clear the production car has nothing in common with NASCAR vehicle other than the name.

My car does 0-60 faster than a NASCAR too! :)

BY comparison an F1 car will do 0-60 in just over 2 seconds, 0-100 in about 3.5 and 0-100-0 in about 6.5 seconds. Top speed is limited by gear ratios and the amount of downforce needed for the given track. Today at Monza they hit 220-225 mph.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Of course, the engine in an F1 car costs about 10 times as much as an entire NASCAR car. Rightly so, I suppose.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
ermm.. how many cylinders and what horsepower ratings do the F1's boast? IIRC Infinity had the most powerful engines in their F1 cars.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Infinity doesn't compete in F1. F1 cars have 3.0 liter V-10s with 850-900hp. They have no turbos or supercharging but they do rev to 19,000 rpm. F1 cars are much faster for several reasons, not least of which is that weigh about 1300lbs Iincluding driver), less than half of what a NASCAR car weighs.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Infiniti competes in the IRL.

F1 cars used to have turbo V8s in the bad old days, didn't they?

CharlesD

Screenwriter
They had 1.5liter turbos, either I-4s or V-6s twin turbo. Before they regulated max boost they were making over 1,000hp. The BMW turbo engine is famous for having an unknown amount of HP in qualifying trim (their dyno went up to 1,250hp and it was off the scale) In the race they had a lower output so they would last the distance 1,000-1,100 hp or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks