What's new

Monsters University (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Ejanss said:
I happen to like the Flintstones, thank you very much, although I can think of only two or three Jetsons episodes that were actually funny. (Tried to indoctrinate the younger generation on classic Flintstones, and while they asked for it by name, it didn't resonate as longer afterwards as the Looney Tunes.)
I liked The Flintstones myself, but at the same time, I think the dated animation is enough to turn today's kids off to it, along with just about most of the H-B stuff. Very much like how there are people turned off by black and white movies.

Also, I did not think Cars 2 was bad, though I can see why people were so disappointed by it, as they expect a lot from Pixar and felt like they did not try too hard. And I did like Brave, but would agree with others, it was not as pic as the trailer would indicate. And not as good as How to Train Your Dragon or even Kung Fu Panda (both of which, I actually look forward to more sequels of, than that of Monsters or Finding Dory).

I plan to see Monsters University sometime this week! Strangely enough, I find myself looking more forward to seeing the trailer for Frozen.

Real Name
Robert Smith
Wow Mike
smile.png

Cars is one I enjoy, Cars 2 not so much.
About cars so i love both 1 and 2 other than i am big fan of toy story series..

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
When watching "The Blue Umbrella", I could get past the fact that it was the umbrella version of "Johnnie Fedora and Alice Blue Bonnet". It was so-so, and very unoriginal.As for Monsters U, I thought it was an enjoyable flick, and another winner for Pixar. While not on par with the first film, I was glad to see it in the theaters.

And oh, the American trailer for "Frozen" sucks balls! Why did we end up with this, while the overseas ones have a much better one?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Walter C said:
And oh, the American trailer for "Frozen" sucks balls! Why did we end up with this, while the overseas ones have a much better one?
It is only a trailer. Clearly someone in marketing thought the one we got was appropriate for the audience.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Walter C said:
Also, I did not think Cars 2 was bad, though I can see why people were so disappointed by it, as they expect a lot from Pixar and felt like they did not try too hard. And I did like Brave, but would agree with others, it was not as pic as the trailer would indicate.
Slightly off the subject, but does emphasize what MU did right--
Okay, maybe a year or two late, but think, after extensive testing and lab analysis, I've managed to isolate just what was the "one" thing that went wrong with Cars 2:

In every great Pixar movie, the ones we remember and all lobby to get Best Picture nominations, there's always that one studio-trademark "Heartbreak" moment of disillusionment for the main character--Where he finally gets the cold-water shock that everything he's believed in and confidently been doing up to this point in his life has been wrong, and now he's got to start all over again from scratch with the help of his new friends and be a stronger character for it by the climax. It could be the moment where Sully realizes his job is scaring Boo, or when Marlin says "You can't do it, Nemo!" to Dory, or when Carl realizes that getting to the waterfall isn't enough, or when Buzz Lightyear discovers he's Not A Flying Toy.
In Cars 2--well, Cars 2 was two movies, actually. Let's call "Movie B" the spy caper, and "Movie A" the main John Lasseter plot where Lightning gets his big chance at world racing, but doesn't want to leave his new friends behind. The big "heartbreak" moment is supposed to come in Movie A, when Lightning lets his feelings slip after Mater embarrasses him at the press conferences once too often, and Mater realizes "Y'mean, everyone really thinks I'm an idiot?"
Which would normally work, but when the remaining 60% of Movie B revolves around the marketability of Mater acting like an idiot, the realization in Movie A loses its punch somewhat. Just becomes more stating the obvious, ie. "Gee, didja figure that out yourself, Ernest, or did you get Vern to help you?? :P "

In MU, we at least get the subplot of Mike finally realizing he's not scary, so it meets the minimum qualifications for being a Pixar film.
Brave, however, had no such moment, which is why it's pretty much passed off as just an unexplained anomaly. (Ie., as if Chapman had sneaked in the studio and directed it at night, before anyone else at the studio found out. ;) ) Since Brave didn't have the moment that year, they had to cart it over to Disney, and make it the moment when Wreck-It Ralph finally gets to live in the penthouse after everyone moved out. Which explains why everyone said "Disney had made the Pixar movie" that year, just because they moved the main ingredient.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks