What's new

Monsters Inc (R1): A mini Review -updated with thoughts on disc 2- (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
Yes, the cover simply has the yellow 'button' on the front - "Version Francaise incluse". I have the same on mu Canadian 'Basil The Great Mouse Detective' but not on my Canadian 'Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh' (which does include a French language track and show a Canadian flag in the lower right corner of the back cover).

I think - though am not sure - the bi-lingual cover is also distributed in Canada - should somebody want to buy it off the shelf!

Amazon.ca seem to have two listings - is this because one is the bi-lingual cover? The product pictures both show the American cover which is incorrect - the yellow badge is missing!

ShaneJ

Auditioning
I don't think there is a Canadian version of Bug's Life, I just recently bought it and it says printed in the USA, and all the same features are there. No French anywhere.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I can't wait for this release. I hate the fact that there is a 4x3 version on there too and I had wished that the space could have been used for other things.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
James,

did you select the French track via the menu? Because those alternate angles (if they are indeed present) are only displayed if you choose French via the menu. Then again, if only the Candian edition has French audio, they probably couldn't be bothered. Atlantis didn't have any alternate language angles either, which really surprised me.

Also, did you (or anybody else who has the DVD) experience any problems at the layer change (skipping and/or freezing)? There's an ever growing thread in uk.media.dvd with people who have this problem, and I'm starting to get a little worried. Especially given Disney's history with their animated 2 discers (Dinosaur, Atlantis), I wouldn't be too surprised.

And as for the missing SFX track: What the hell's that about? I mean, if the FF version is missing anyway, it couldn't have been a space problem. Or are they just trying to piss off their Canadian customers by default these days? It certainly seems that way.

Chris

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
I got this a few days ago and I have to agree, the layer change is very bad indeed. It looks like a skip, but not? :frowning:
About the missing Full Frame version. Very strange. Not that I advocate MAR. I don't. OAR is the only way to go. Perhaps Disney believes that only Canadians are capable of appreciating and fully embracing widescreen? :rolleyes:
Also about Canadian versions of DVD's. I have to add my voice to the discontented masses about these discs. Why you ask? Well, over here, the majority of local retailers sell Canadian versions of DVD's. Why? Because of the exchange rate, they are less expensive than US versions.
Only a handful of the retailers do import US versions and usually only when the DVD is initially released. Once this stock runs out, they begin selling Canadian versions. :angry:
It's come to a point that I become very wary when I see a Canadian version of a DVD.
Sorry, I had to vent :b

James Reader

Screenwriter
Yes Christian I did select French off the main menu.

It's a shame as I think the alternative credits are really neat and I commend Disney for the extra effort that implementing this feature must involve.

I'm actually 2099net over on the theDVDForums - I have a Pioneer F272 (actually I have 2 daisy-chained together) and the layer change plays fine. The layer change is obvious, but I only get a half-second or so pause and nothing skipped.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
James,
thanks for the info. I'll probably get my (Canadian) copy later this week, so I guess I'll see how my player copes with it then.
The one thing I don't get: The US set has a layer change during the film as well. I mean, if there's a WS and a FF version on disc 1 of the US set, why does there have to be a layer change during the movie anyway? It's not like the WS version is longer. It's only better. :D
Chris

Paul W

Second Unit
Christian,

The widescreen version probably has a higher bitrate than the FS version.

Having a larger bit budget than the other is probably what necessitates the layer change.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
DASSEN FRASSEN RASSEN RICK RASTERDLY!!!

I have the Canadian version and (1) its had to go back as its a bad pressing (only a temporary setback), but (2) I'm really annoyed about this missing FX track. I might have to actually ditch this release and get another one. Meanwhile, if you still want to do a bitrate comparison Dan, I'll let you know when I have a working one.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Alright, who let Scott out of the Movies section. We're gonna have to chase him round all night before he'll go back! Right, where's that leesh?...
:D
Nice review Dan. I didn't like the movie enough to justify buying, but yours is a very readable and informative review nonetheless. ;)

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator
Also, did you (or anybody else who has the DVD) experience any problems at the layer change (skipping and/or freezing)? There's an ever growing thread in uk.media.dvd with people who have this problem, and I'm starting to get a little worried. Especially given Disney's history with their animated 2 discers (Dinosaur, Atlantis), I wouldn't be too surprised.
I've just experienced this on a R1 copy playing on a Pioneer DV-525. It freezes on the layer change, but at least I am able to fast forward past it. On my Malata N996 it plays o.k., except for the fact that the change is very obvious (more so than normal I feel). Too bad they couldn't avoid a layer change TWO minutes before the end of the movie. :frowning:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Yes I'd be very interested in a bit rate comparison between the Canadian and US release if anyone has the means to do it.
Canadian version spends most of its time hovering between 4.5 Mbps and 7.5 Mbps and often shoots up to 9.0-10.0 Mbps.

I do not have the US version to compare.

James Reader

Screenwriter
That would also correspond nicely to the idea that Alliance are too god damn lazy to do anything but remove good stuff, add useless stuff, and mess up cover artwork.
Alliance have nothing to do with the manufacture or distribution of the Canadian disc - it's all down to Beuna Vista Home Video (as in the US).

I think Alliance only distribute Miramax (and therefore Dimension) titles in Canada due to an distribution agreement made before the Disney acquisition of Miramax.

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
James, you're 100% correct. Don't know why I took Buena Vista for being Alliance.

Buena Vista is certainly better at handling their Canadian discs than Alliance -- although in this case, one might have hoped that they had used the extra available space for a higher bitrate transfer instead of duplicating extras from disc 2. (although, as stated, the video and audio quality of the region 1 US disc *is* reference, as it is)

John DeLuca

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up the Canadian version of the DVD today. Amazing picture and sound. I found the Easter Egg with all of the Pixar employees having the airplane flying contest. Some of them came up with interesting designs :) The first copy I bought was defective so I had to exchange it for a different one. This one works fine now.
I do have one question though. When the Yeti offers them snow cones, I though I remember him saying "They're lemon, I promise." I didn't notice that in this DVD, unless I missed it. Maybe I'll have to watch it again just to see.
Edit: I just watched that scene again and he does in fact say the line I thought was missing. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention the first time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks