What's new

Monsters Inc. Packaging (1 Viewer)

Manny_S

Stunt Coordinator
I too bought mine at Kmart. Went thru about ten before I found an acceptable one. Another thing I always do is make sure the cover art is not sticking out above the clear plastic. I learned the hard way that when removing the security sticker, it can tear away some of the cover art surface if it's not sitting exactly behind the clear plastic cover art protector.

Dan V

Stunt Coordinator
Mine was wrinkled too, and the plastic on the front had come loose. Went back and exchanged it for a new one.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
Another case of a bad case on a disc I want as part of my permanent collection. You would think the manufacturer would be able to identify this problem LONG before the product hits the stores.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Packaging is important! For collectors like myself i like to know my discs are in good condition. There is nothing wrong with that. Why do people settle for second best so much these days. It's the same with snapper cases. People moan about the cases but they continue to buy them. They then say they are not worried because they will replace them with amaray and cover art. Why should customers have to go to all the trouble just because a certain company keeps sticking to crappy carboard packaging! One last note, i don't consider myself anal. Just a perfectionist when it comes to home cinema.

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
You would think the manufacturer would be able to identify this problem LONG before the product hits the stores.
They probably did, but assumed that the vast majority of purchasers wouldn't care about the wrinkled/crinkled plastic. Although most of us reading this forum do care, the majority of purchasers probably do not.

Jalil

Stunt Coordinator
i personally hated the inside of the case. they way the first dvd holder was like. it made it hard to take the insert out and in... it doesn't swing like other 2 dvd cases..

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I was wondering why inetdvd had no doubles. Makes sense, I suppose.
Also, they are out of 7-disc cases now. When their existing stock of 6-disc, 5-disc, 4-disc and 3-disc (both versions) are out they will not me available again UNTIL mid December 2002 at the earliest. If you have to have any now, you need to get them or wait 3 months at best.

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering...is there any data available about whether these security stickers actually deter theft? I have seen DVD cases sitting on the shelf with the security stickers slit and the disks removed.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Michael, as someone who worked retail when DVDs were new, and was trying to figure out how they were doing it, I'll say YES they deter theft because you must OPENLY start cutting into the product, instead of the old way where you could steal the disc while making it look like you were looking at the back

Dennis

Second Unit
I'm curious as to where everyone purchased their Monster's, Inc. discs. I saw that every disc I picked up at Best Buy had wrinkles on the front and Circuit City had them on the back, at least they're consistent. Also, did anyone get an insert that was included on the back, inside the plastic packaging, of the their discs? I could have sworn that BB had it but not CC. Another thing, I think the packaging (the outer packaging, not the case) at BB was different than CC.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Rick - you went to *many stores* looking for an 'unblemished case'??
I haven't been so astonished since the time 5 years ago when i realized some people paid more for their remotes than i paid for my amplifier. :)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Jeff said:
-- YES they deter theft because you must OPENLY start cutting into the product, instead of the old way where you could steal the disc while making it look like you were looking at the back

But how is a so called security sticker different than shrink wrap? One still has to tear or cut open the outer wrapping. Why can't the shrink wrap just have a lable on it warning of the security device?

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
My Shrek dvd was so warped when I bought it that I could barely make out the lettering on it. All the copies at the Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Circuit City in my area had the same problem. HUGE folds in the plastic, an absolutely UGLY product.

Everyone that I know (that lives in my area obviously) and owns Shrek has this case. Perhaps this is similar to the problem that you are experiencing with the Monsters Inc. cases? I sifted through about 50 at my Best Buy until I found one that looked okay. I would prefer snappers over plastic cases that look terrible!

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Dennis, that is because the little extra that is included with the Monsters Inc. Dvd is full of coupons good for purchases at Best Buy. It would be a bit akward for Circuit City copies of Monsters Inc. to give away Best Buy coupons eh?

I also hate when a release I've been awaiting for some time has problems with the cover. Of course the movie is most important, but I feel when buying a DVD I'm buying the whole deal, not just the disc inside, and I want it to look nice. Otherwise I feel cheated in a way, and I'll spend a lot of time looking for packages without the 'bubbles' and warps.
The worst examples in my opinion are the wide 2-disc cases, such as "The Others", "Wrath of Khan", some of the Fox 5-Star releases such as "Speed", "Die Hard", etc...
However, "Monsters, Inc." has been the worst overall. I work at a major chain and early on that Tuesday morning I had to put these discs out, going through more than 600+ copies. ALL of them had these defective bubbles and warps in the cover. Only 2-3 copies were "presentable", and no, I didn't waste time looking through each one, as they were all obviously defective.
As if the packaging weren't bad enough, the disc itself has a horrible layer switch at the 84-minute mark (I hear that's another thread altogether) which hangs in my Pioneer and is very distracting (but doesn't hang up) on my JVC.
Oh well...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks