What's new

Monsters Inc. (Japanese) Quick Review (1 Viewer)

Mark Butler

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to step on any official reviewers toes but I just wanted to give some quick impressions of the Monsters Inc. Japanese Blu-Ray release.

This is the first time I have had a Pixar Blu-ray that I could directly compare with the DVD release. I own every Pixar release up to The Incredibles on DVD and after that I have them on Blu-ray (Cars, Ratatouille, Wall-E). I was hesitant to upgrade because all the Pixar DVD's I own are outstanding in terms of quality (Video, Audio and Extras) so I wasn't sure if there was going to be any point (my player, a PS3, does a great job of upscaling). After watching this new Blu-Ray release of Monsters Inc. I wait with bated breath to upgrade all my Pixar titles to Blu-ray if the quality is going to be this good. On the Video side the picture is stunning, the fine detail in the hairs on Sully, being able to see the snow actually melting on his back, seeing the veins in Mike's eye. Switching back and forth between the DVD and Blu-ray ( I also own a BDP-550) for scenes was like going to the optometrist and being fitted for glasses. Everything that seemed so clear before on the DVD was like it was covered in vaseline when compared to the Blu Ray. Awesome. On the Audio side of things the DTS HD Master was superb. Switching back and forth between the DVD and Blu-ray was not the same level as with the video but there is a definite increase in clarity and fullness with the blu-ray. Even the wife noticed ( I matched the levels too because sometimes DTS is louder than the Dolby digital track on the DVD.) As for extras all the DVD extras are ported over (some of the them are now in HD like the Galleries) also their are a few new ones like the Filmmakers roundtable with the directors, writers and producers as well as a feature on the new Monsters Inc. ride at Tokyo Disneyland ( the reason I suspect this Blu-ray was released here now.)

Sorry to ramble but I just wanted to share my (I guess not so quick) thoughts on this release. If you have any questions or if you want me to look for a specific thing on the discs let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Doom4420

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard Ameen
I ordered this BD and should be getting it tomorrow. Am I correct to assume that it is in english, and you can turn on and off Japanese subtitles? Just curious on that one aspect. Also, do you know if it is region free?

Seeing how it plays fine on the PS3, I'm assuming that is the case also, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks!!

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Yes there is an English track. Subtitles can be removed also.

It is also region free. Plays fine in Panasonic BD35.

Eric F

Screenwriter
As for the region, Japan is the same region as the US, so for all those concerned it is of no matter anyways.

How much was it in US $, shipped, anyways (I assume you bought it from Amazon.jp?)?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I just received this yesterday, and I am looking forward to watching it with my children. Does anyone here who has this disc happen to use DVD Profiler? I couldn't find this title in their database, which is unusual.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

I'm really looking forward to the US release. Hopefully The Incredibles won't be too far behind!
I've caught The Incredibles and Finding Nemo on ABC Family HD, and they were stunning to watch. The Incredibles is probably my most wanted Blu-ray at this point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks