1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Monsters Inc DVD (technical issues merged thread)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Daniel J

Daniel J Stunt Coordinator

Well, I havn't had time to play the whole movie yet, but I did notice a very odd problem with the THX optimiser utility: in the THX menu and on a few video setup screens, the background image is stretched off the side of the screen, so that the highlights for the menu commands don't match up. Very odd.
    Also, my disc had a light, s-shaped scratch out of the case. Should have opened it in-store and got a replacement... It doesn't seem to effect playback, so I'll just live with it.
    I'll try the disc in my Zenith 5-disc and check the layer change tomorrow.

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Crap, my DVL-909 freezes up at 84:09 and flags my sound system to PCM, at which point I got on the computer to see if anyone else was having this problem. If you chapter-skip forward it'll keep playing, but that's not acceptable. Either fix the DVD or put out a LASERDISC of this!
    BTW didja notice they forgot to disable the Audio button? :p)

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Wow, Ray! [​IMG] Not sure why you addressed that list to me, personally. I'm not tech support for Disney or anything.
    Just a HTF member like anyone else. I'm a data processor by profession, not a DVD Tech or anything. I just happen to own 1,500 discs! [​IMG]
    I think my more-detailed-than-usual post may have tricked you into thinking I work for Disney's tech support or something...

4. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

i get a long pause on mine, no freeze, but pixelazation for about 4 seconds. im on some toshiba model, forget the number, but its a cheaper one like 4 years old

5. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

RP-82, noticeable layer change, no other problems [​IMG]

6. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Mike
    Panasonic RP56: Slight pause but no lock up at layer switch![​IMG]

7. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Looooonnnggggg pause at layer change on Pioneer DV-333. Didn't freeze up, though.

8. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

9. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

RP-91 Slight pause on layer change, it is in a stupid place though [​IMG]

10. Yannick Martin

Yannick Martin Stunt Coordinator

Tested the Canadian version on my old Toshiba 3006 (1st gen) and it played perfectly: the layer change was even shorter than on my newer Pioneer 333.

YM

11. Brad Eisenhauer

Brad Eisenhauer Stunt Coordinator

Here's one more report of a very noticeable pause at the point everyone's talking about. Two consecutive pauses actually. My player is a Magnavox DVD-611. I believe it's manufactured by Philips, and I've only seen one other mention in this thread of a Philips player having this problem. I've never had problems with noticable layer changes on this player with any DVDs. (The one exception being Bridge on the River Kwai, but anyone familiar with that disc should know why.)

12. Nick Pudar

Nick Pudar Agent

My receiver is getting repaired, so I can't test my Monsters, Inc. disc. I haven't seen anyone describe their experience with a Sony 7700. Anyone out there to comment on how the disc plays on this machine? Thanks.
    Nick

13. JohnMR

JohnMR Agent

I get a pause at the layer changer on my Pioneer DV-F727 301 juke but it does not lock up.

John

14. LeeL

LeeL Stunt Coordinator

Purchased this last night, went through every inch of it, played flawlessly on my modded Apex 1100W. No pauses, no glitches, nothing.
    Great disc, great transfer. AND no freezing on my player! Thanks Disney!! [​IMG]

15. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Checked out my players last night and this is what happened.

Pioneer DV414 (hooked up to a 27" set only): freezes at 84:01. Have to hit "next" button to continue. This seems to be in line with others are experiencing with this player. I have a collection of about 250 titles plus rentals and this Pioneer player has NEVER had trouble with any of them until now.

Toshiba SD6200 (part of my main HT system): The picture freezes for about 1 second and then continues. The picture combs severely for a moment as it continues. Also, the audio drops out then back on with a popping/cracking sound during the layer change. Although the layer change is brief, it's the most abrupt and awkward layer change I've experienced on this player. A normal layer change on this player usually triggers a VERY brief or no pause with no combing or audio anomolies. As with my Pioneer, my Toshiba has not had problems with any other disc I've played in it.

Since it's obvious that exchanging this disc with another will not solve this problem, I may just keep it since it poses a relatively small problem on my main HT system.

I see others here have called Disney to complain. Would it do any good if I called also?

I'll certainly be following this thread to see if Disney ends up doing anything about this.

JimmyK

16. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

17. Felipe S

Felipe S Stunt Coordinator

Most of the movie does have a relatively low feel to it. But then again let's look at some of the sound peaks:

1)When they're walking to work and are about to cross the street, they yell 'good morning' to a gigantic monster (all you can see are his feet). When that monster starts to walk, sound levels are off the chart, specially with the subwoofer.

2) When they first take Boo to their apartment, after she cries and Mike gets bonked on the head with a speaker, Boo starts to laugh... you see a power surge happen and in all channels you hear a 'spinning up' sound, this reaches a really high SPL level, again the subwoofer starts going crazy.

etc...

To me, the sound mix is lower on average compared to other movies.. but then again it is one of the best sound mixes I've heard in a while.

(my 2 cents)

18. FredCampbell

FredCampbell Agent

Same here, on a Pioneer 414. Maybe it's time to upgrade.

19. Aaron_Meyers

Aaron_Meyers Auditioning

I have a Pioneer DV-440 and the layer change is noticable in chapter 30. I don't see this as a problem with the disk though, at least not when discussing it being defective or not. I've noticed layer changes on many disks with this dvd player. I've just come to live with it the way I've come to live with it's great picture quality and ability to play pretty much whatever I can fit in the tray.

20. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Ran Monsters Inc on a Toshiba 1200, Toshiba 2107 (oldie but goodie), Sony 560, Malata 996 multi, and a cheapie $60 Chinese model from Brandsmart. No problems on any of them, although the layer change was rather prominent and poorly placed.
    Great disc. Fantastic movie. Can't get enough of either!