What's new

Monsters Inc.... bass at end of chapter 13. (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Well, I put it on again tonight for my 15 year old daughter to watch. I decided to play with the computer a while, but turned down the volume 4 ticks before doing so. While it didn't bottom out this time, my legs are now hairless because they were positioned right by my Hsu sub and so much air was being displaced that it blew me hairless. ;) I'll tell you that the bass is throughout the whole movie.

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
My daughter was watching Monsters last night, and I had to stop and replay the sock scene multiple times. After she complained about me interrupting her movie, I adjusted the volumes and headed back to my office. My wife and I both came out of our rooms when the power surge scene hit -- she didn't know what it was, but I *knew* what it was and had to see the scene!! It rumbled the whole house. This was on an SVS 25-31 PCi.

Rich

Dylan

Agent
Not entirely related to Monsters Inc, but has anyone tried Gettysburg w/ the SVS PCi/PC-Plus? There are many great, long scenes w/ plenty of deep bass from the multiple cannons going off. I haven't got my PC-Plus yet so I can't say how low the cannons go on the DVD but I'm sure they sound as incredible w/ the SVS as they do live.

Geno

Supporting Actor
Ron, I just saw monsters inc for the first time. in your previous post, did you know that the "doc, it hurts when I do this" joke is actually in the monsters inc movie? its hidden in the background during the end of the movie. or is it coincidence?

geno

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Yes. On the big screen behind one of the characters on the scare floor somewhere. Not much in the way of bass...

SteveDev

Agent
What exactly do you hear (or don't hear?) when you play this scene and the sub "bottoms out"?

Not sure I want to try it with my Mirage OM-200 just yet since the sub is only around 2 weeks old! Is it possible to damage the sub?

Steve

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Metal-to-metal contact of the mechanical portions inside the driver itself, like a small jackhammer. Along with the highly distorted sound of what the speaker is trying to produce.

Damage is possible, like all things used in a way not intended.

The thing about HT related bottoming, it's not a gradual buildup and then slight bottoming - it's usually an explosion, which takes the sub from being almost motionless to slamming it into itself.

Stress = Failure, sooner or later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks