What's new

monsters ball dvd specs!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
this is all acording to dvd talk
Lions Gate Entertainment has announced the DVD release for the Academy Award winning Monster's Ball. Set for release on 6/11, Monster's Ball will be presented in Anamorphic widescreen (2.35) and Dolby Digital 5.1 and feature: Audio Commentary with director Marc Forster, Audio Commentary with Marc Forster and actors Halle Berry & Billy Bob Thornton, Deleted Scenes, Outtakes, and the Featurette: "Making of the Music".
looks great for an indy film

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
That's a really cool list of features. I'm really looking forward to this one. I wonder if the disc, or its release date would have been any different if Halle Berry hadn't won last week.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm sure the specs for the disc were finalized a while ago, but maybe the release date was pushed back somewhat. The film got a nice boost at the box office last weekend and is expected to reach $30 million, which is impressive for an independent film.

M.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
OH, THIS IS JUST SO VERY WONDERFUL!!!!!!!
As it turns out, this one is due for release THREE DAYS BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!! :D
Needless to say, I shall be picking it up, along with Great Balls of Fire, as DVD birthday presents!!!!!!
It sure will be interesting to hear what the Academy Award-winning actress will have to say on this one for the DVD ;) I sure do indeed want to listen to this commentary. As well, Marc Foster and Billy Bob ought to be as compelling for such a compelling film as well, IMHO.
I saw this again at the theater, BTW, last night and came away looking at Halle differently than I did when I first saw the film back in February. I saw some intensity in her that I did not realize previously--though I still say, to me, she earned the Oscar--and every other award she received for this performance.
And about the $30 million gate receipts you alluded to, Michael, I noticed that more theaters, this weekend, added the film to their screens where it was removed recently or previously had not been featured. For that, I cannot say that I am surprised. And I would not be surprised if that 30-mill tally rises some more between now and Birthday Time!!!!! :b

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
According to Variety.com Lion's Gate did add 137 engagements to the run this past weekend. They also ran the biggest ad in the New York Times since the picture debuted: a quarter page. (Contrast that to the megabucks spent by New Line and Universal -- week after week -- on 1- and 2-page ads for A Beautiful Mind and LOTR.)
The $30 million take is what Lion's Gate projects. The current box office stands at $23 million.
It sure will be interesting to hear what the Academy Award-winning actress will have to say on this one for the DVD ;)
My guess is the commentary was recorded before the Oscars. Either way, it should be interesting.
M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I never rely on the information posted by etailers in advance of street date. It's been wrong too often.

M.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
It's widescreen. I don't have my review copy yet but Lions Gate assures me it's 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen.

Hopefully I'll have a copy sometime next week.

M

Chris M

Second Unit
The current version has been reviewed at DVD File.
I haven't seen the movie, but it does look interesting. Might have to rent it :)
Chris.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
This is a fantastic movie that deals with some very heavy material. It can be diffiult to watch. I want this on DVD, but I don't want to buy it again in a few months if a special edition is coming out.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
There have been rumors of a special edition coming out later this year. Has there been any offcial word?
There indeed have been though there are no concrete details other then it's looking like Feb 2003 and will contain the uncut 115 minute version of the film. No word on if it will include any additional extras.
My review of the current version is now up at Link Removed

BooneG

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought this dvd yesterday and let me tell you: this is an awesome dvd. The picture is crisp and beautiful and the sound is nice. The two commentaries are like night and day. The first one is very technical and, i thought, a very good learning tool for wannabe filmmakers (like myself) The second track is a lot more fun. After a few minutes of very little the three (Forster, Thornton, and Berry) really get into it. They start talking about anything that they can think of. The rest of the dvd is pretty good. The deleted scenes are ok.

I think that this dvd is worth purchasing. I got it for $14.99 + tax.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I really really want to see this movie. Should I just go ahead and buy it or rent it first? It seems like a movie I would like and I am a huge Billy Bob fan! Let me know. Thanks!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My standard advice is never to buy a disc sight unseen unless you're willing to accept the possibility that you may hate the movie.
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks