Monster vs AR

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kerry R, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Kerry R

Kerry R Extra

Jan 7, 2002
    Are the Monster S-Video cables worth the extra $$ over the Acoustic Research S-Video cables. I'm making a trip to Best Buy later today to pick up an assortment of cables and would like to get some opinions.

2. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Dec 13, 2001
    I think you will find that there are many opinions on the issue of cable quality in general. Different people will give you answers to this and similar questions based on the following factors:
    1) their equipment, better equipment makes it easier to tell differences in cables and wires
    2) their experience with different cables/wires
    3) various theories they have heard
    4) their personal bias
    5) their typical budget, you can get cables from a few dollars, to a few thousand dollars
    Not necessarily in that order [​IMG]
    Occationally someone will try to take in to account your equipment/budget, but that doesn't seem to happen as often as would be appropreate...
    Given that preface, I can offer my personal opinion:
    Chances are if you're asking this question your plenty safe going with AR or other decent brand S-video cables. I wouldn't sweat it.
  3. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Feb 25, 1999
    I for one have not been at all happy with the Monster S-Video cables. The main problem is that the shells tend to depart from their respective connectors. Not horrible, but not good either.