What's new

monster video 3 Vs. Belden 1694 componet cable? (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Uhhhhh... I'd really love it if someone did this comparision.
My understanding is that the Video 3 level of Monster cable is the high-end cable for High Def/Progressive video. So it's basically equilivent to the good Belden/Canare coax. (But with a $300 price tag for a 12 foot run).
If there was a difference, my guess it would not because the coax in either cable is better/worse, but be because of the RCA plug. Slap a good Canare true 75 ohm RCA plug and you might have a superior cable with the belden coax.
My guess would be that unless you have an extream situation (long runs), you would not see much difference (except to your wallet :))
But I'd love it if someone would do this test and let us know.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
even if the rca's are different, that is a dear price...btw, the canare rca's aren't really 75 ohms as geometrical considerations prevent that from being realized...

Brian_C

Stunt Coordinator
I seriously, seriously doubt you'd hear a difference. I'm not sure on the exact specs on the MV3, but the MV2 is a 95% copper braided shielded coax cable. The MV3 I'm sure is somehow better then that.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Brian,

Thats see, not hear. Yes you would definately see an improvemnt with Belden 1694a cable. I know because I go rid of the MV3 and replaced them with Canare and then Belden.

Brian_C

Stunt Coordinator
Somehow I'm just not ready to believe it makes that big of a difference. The cable specifications are actually quite similar. I've always believed Monster cables are horribly overpriced, but they do make excellent products. Anyone else have any comments on this?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Brian: I think I'm of the same opinion as you. Monster is over priced with some heavy marketing programs to get salesmen to push the stuff. But for modest HT use, it is decent stuff.

The Canare/Belden stuff is made/sold to production studios so it's better for very long runs & extreme condtions.

The trade off seems to be long cable runs in your home, large projector displays or HD/Progressive signals.

Mark: Could you tell us about your system when you upgraded to the Canare Belden cables? How long of a run, how big was your display and are you sending Component or HD signals?

Mark Rich

Second Unit
I have been unable to find specs on Monster cable products except the usual marketing info.

I have no problem with Monster products in fact they are better than some so called boutique cables but overpriced.

I used a 51" elite RPTV and 36" DIrect view. Component video. Runs varied from 1m to 3m. As you can tell the distances were short which means the improvement would have been more noticeable over greater lengths. Currently I'm running a 5m length Belden 1694a set. The connectors used on the Canare/Belden cables play a part in the performance improvemnt as well.

I went from the Monster products to the Canare and then to the Belden. I have also compared my Belden cables against a friends SS cables and we both found the Belden provided a more pleasing picture. He has kept the SS cables.

Belden cables are used by the pro indutry for not only their performance but also their durability and reliability. Unless I need new lengths I should never need to replace these cables. They are also tested to 3GHZ so all current and future high bandwidth requirements should be covered. The fact they are cheaper than the Monster cables are a bonus. Here a set of 2m M3 sells for $240.00!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks