Monster Video 3 Cables: Real Quality or pure Marketing

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by HermannMasser, Sep 18, 2003.

1. HermannMasser

HermannMasser Auditioning

I am looking for your opinion on Monster Video 3 Component and S-Video cables. I am setting up my HT using an Infocus Digital Projector, I will be connecting a DVD Player via component, Digital Cable Box (Explorer 3200HD) via S-Video and via component for HDTV Signal and would like to know if Monster Video 3 are really good cables or if it is only a marketing thing, Also, if anybody has experience with custome cable companies that would sell same or better quality and less expensive than Monster I would greatly appreciate your input. I am planning to use a JX-S111 video switch with it, if anybody has one input will also be gretly appreciated.

Thanks

Hermann

Thanks

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

You can find better deals online, but one thing you can say about Monster cables is that they are well constructed. Some say they are overpriced--perhaps they are, but they are quality cables.

I use Video 3 for DVD & HD and they do the job.

DJ

3. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

try calling straightwire i think they are much better than monster. i have owned both of these cables and i will stick with straightwire from now on. yes they are a little pricy but consider the money that as spent on your other gear. they make a very good cable to any lenth you want.
    frank

4. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

There are any number of on-line cable makers that will give you much better bang for your buck than Monster. A few to consider are:

signalcable.com
    bluejeanscable.com
    heartlandcable.com

And there are others. Try doing some searches and you will find more info.

I am not sure how many of them make S-Video cables. Personally I think you will probably do just as well using the composite feed from your cable box, due to the nature of cable signals. I notice no improvement going from composite to S-video using a 3100HD box.

Mark

5. HermannMasser

Thanks for your replies.

I while back I purchased a cable from pacific cable but I wasn't able to find any reviews on theiur quality, has anybody used them before?

Thanks

Hermann

6. Jigesh Patel

Jigesh Patel Stunt Coordinator

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Basically they're all 75 ohm video cables and all perfectly suited to pass a fairly easy signal from your DVD player. For the lengths you're likely considering, RG-6, RG-59, thinner...it makes no difference.

8. HermannMasser

So what about the Phyton Cables? I saw those are 75 Ohm cables and they cost a fraction of what the Monster Video 3 cost... any input on those?

Thanks

Hermann

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

as long as the center conductor is copper, one piece or stranded, and you're shielded it's up to you how much or how little you want to spend. i've no idea what phyton cable is.