Monster tries to rip people off. AND SUCCEEDS

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Seth=L, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Monster is trying to rip us all off! This is nothing new but it is still and always will be extremely annoying.

I was at Circuit City not long ago and saw a Series 2 6ft. video cable for $12.99 (which is not a bad price). What is wrong is they charge us about $50-60 for the same cable wrapped in a package for a digital Coax. The sad part is that there many folks out there that think there is a difference between these two cables. NO, NO, NO, they are the same both 75 ohm same construction and more than likely came of the same assembally line. My hope is that enough people will read this thread and maybe save themselves some cash, Unless people really do pay for the package that you throw in the trash though I Doubt It!

2. DougR

DougR Second Unit

This has been a known fact for years !

3. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I know, But I just want some people who don't know to find out. Because if everyone knew then Monster would have to change or die and they haven't changed yet so more must know.(Knowledge is power, we must rise against the corporate machines).[​IMG]

4. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Most people reading this forum already know enough to differentiate between hype and fact.

Try carrying a sign in the store. At least it will be entertaining!

5. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

yes it would but I am certain it would be short lived.

6. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Cut one open, there are differences in the cables. Whether or not you believe that it makes any difference in sound is one thing, but unless you need glasses you'll see the differences.

7. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

What's funny is that the Monster digital coax cables actually DO differ in construction versus their "RCA video" counterparts. Does it mean that the "special" digital coax cable performs any better? Probably not. Hooray for marketing! However, AudioQuest actually markets their 75-ohm RCA cable as a video/digital cable. So a gold star to them for actually being honest.

It'll be a endless debate over whether Monster Cable, AudioQuest, Tara Labs, Nordost, etc. are nothing but snake oil. In fact, Audioholics has had a long-standing beef over AudioQuest in particular, bringing hard science into the equation (they LOVE picking on the DBS battery packs and the "skin effect" theory). Long story short: electrical engineer types generally see speaker cable as being nothing more than jazzed-up lamp cord. Audiophile types stand firm behind their beliefs that things like fancy dielectric systems and internal shielding separate cables that cost $50/pair from exotic cables that cost hundreds of dollars.

I say let them fight. Audio and video is a very subjective matter. Anyone with a reasonable level of education (and sanity) will buy what looks and sounds best to them within their budget range, not what numbers and/or fancy packaging will tell them. And for one person, it might very well be an expensive set of Monster Cables. One thing is for sure: Mr. Lee (Monster) and Mr. Low (AudioQuest) weren't dummies. They were among the first to point out that better quality cables do make a difference, to a point. Anybody with sense would buy better gear over spending thousands of dollars getting the really exotic cables to "improve" their mid-fi. But sadly, the high-end cable market naturally got greedy in the marketing department, which is why they are always picked on. ALL stores carrying performance cables are making at LEAST 50 points of margin on them. Actual manufacturing costs (most of them are assembled in third world countries now) would make a grown man cry.

8. DougDoe

DougDoe Agent

That's why we have wholesalers...

9. scott>c

scott>c Second Unit

Its funny how some people wont buy anything but monster. Monster and Bose are 2 of the biggest names in the industry and have some brainwashed with all their marketing. I`ll tell people the truth about these products and they look at u like u`r nuts!!!! I love it!!!!

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Too bad I don't have access to the posts done by the guys who took a piece of a wire coat hanger and used it as a digital coax with no measurable losses.

11. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    Fools and their money are often parted.

12. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That is actually really funny.